Through the commissioning plans for lifelong and older people’s services, the County Council will move towards a reduction in the reliance on residential care and an increase in community-based care and accommodation that supports independence. This will include a review of the Council’s in-house service in line with the adult social care vision and strategy and the need to develop and shape the care market. The outcome will be a strategy for accommodation services for adults.
The principles of the review and development of the strategy will be;
· To increase access to new models of supported and independent living,
· To review the position and place of in-house residential care in the market,
· To enable people to stay in their own home as long as possible by commissioning effective carer support, respite/reablement, access to employment and community-based activities,
· Using a strengths-based approach to improve value for money and support choice and control,
· To support young people as they approach adulthood with realistic expectations,
· To build long-term sustainable solutions based on expected future demand and capacity modelling and
· To develop positive relationships with the market, delivering value for money across all aspects of care and support.
We will engage with customers, carers and families as part of the review and development of a future strategy.
The Cabinet Member for Adults and Health will be asked to approve:
1) the outcome of an initial review phase of in-house residential care
2) the plans for a wider review of in-house residential care and the development of an accommodation strategy for adults.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Affects more than 1 ward;
Decision status: For Determination
Divisions affected: (All Divisions);
Notice of proposed decision first published: 30/07/2019
Decision due: March 2020 by Cabinet
Lead member: Councillor Amanda Jupp email@example.com, Councillor Duncan Crow firstname.lastname@example.org, Councillor Roger Elkins email@example.com, Councillor Jeremy Hunt firstname.lastname@example.org, Councillor Nigel Jupp email@example.com, Councillor Bob Lanzer firstname.lastname@example.org, Councillor Paul Marshall email@example.com, Councillor Jacquie Russell firstname.lastname@example.org, Councillor Deborah Urquhart email@example.com
Contact: Catherine Galvin, Head of Transformation and Commissioning Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 033 022 24869.
Representations concerning this proposed decision can be made to the Cabinet Member for Adults & Health via the author or officer contact by the beginning of the month in which the decision is to be taken.
Customers, carers and families, Health and Adult Social Care Scrutiny Committee (HASC) (to be considered by HASC Business Planning Group) and market partners/service providers.
Democratic Services Contact: Erica Keegan - 033 022 26050
West Sussex Plan Priority: Independence in Later Life