The following functions are allocated to the Leader of the Council:
· to chair meetings of the Cabinet and oversee the preparation of business for its consideration.
· to indicate to the Chief Executive and executive directors the priorities and programmes of the Cabinet and majority party, and their likely reaction to new policies or projects.
· to be the principal political spokesman for the County Council at internal and external meetings.
· to decide matters on behalf of another cabinet member if he or she is unwell, out of the county, has an interest in a matter under consideration, or is otherwise unable to act, or in the Leader’s absence, to nominate the Deputy Leader or another cabinet member to do so.
· to have responsibility for the following portfolio areas:
o Strategic Political Direction
o Policy and Strategy
o Communications and lobbying activity
o Partnerships including locally, SE7 and CCN
o Economy (supported by Cabinet Members on some specifics)