Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

North Mid Sussex County Local Committee
Tuesday, 13th November, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Copthorne Village Hall, Copthorne Bank, Copthorne, RH10 3RE

Contact: Monique Smart 033 022 22540  Email:  monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

12.

Welcome and introductions

Members of North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are Bill Acraman, Liz Bennett, Heidi Brunsdon, Andrew Lea and Jacquie Russell.

Minutes:

12.1   Members and Officers introduced themselves.

 

12.2   The Chairman thanked the officers from ‘Your Energy Sussex’ and ‘Refill’ who had provided information and advice prior to the meeting.

13.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

Minutes:

13.1   None declared.

14.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 58 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 13 June 2018 (cream paper).

Minutes:

14.1   RESOLVED – that the minutes of the North Mid Sussex County Local

Committee meeting held on 13 June 2018 be approved as a correct record and be signed by the Chairman.

15.

Urgent Matters

Items not on the agenda that the Chairman of the meeting is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances.

Minutes:

15.1   None.

16.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 53 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

16.1   Members considered the statements on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes) and made the following comments:

 

·         The Area Highways Manager reported that 8 replies had been received in response to the letter to Imberhorne Lane residents.  All would be shared with Members once the deadline for responses had passed.  The Local Member, Mrs Brunsdon, said that there was some concern as to whether the informal footpath would be closed off and the Area Highways Manager confirmed that would be the responsibility of the landowner.

·         Members expressed disappointment that there was still no progress regarding the East Grinstead Road Space Audit.  They looked forward to the Cabinet Member Decision that was expected in December.

·         It was reported that a petition was expected regarding speed cushions in West Street. 

·         The developers at Penlands Farm had requested a 10 week junction closure but the Area Highways manager reported that the Central & South Mid Sussex CLC had written to the Cabinet Member asking for other solutions to be explored.

·         The Area Highways manager confirmed that some rejected Community Highways Schemes could be progressed via other routes such as the Local Transports Improvement Programme (LTIP).

17.

Talk With Us Open Forum pdf icon PDF 29 KB

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

17.1   The Chairman invited questions from those in attendance.  The following maters were discussed:

 

·         Mr Beale asked for an update on the changes at Glen Vue.  The Chairman confirmed that Mr Beale had been forwarded the Cabinet Member decision that had recently been taken in respect of this.  It was also agreed this would be linked in the minutes.  Mr Beale asked that the Committee convey to the Cabinet Member that it is not just the patients but the carers’ needs that should be taken into account before making any changes.

·         Mr Beirne asked about missing or inaccurate signage in Christopher Street, King Street and other roads in East Grinstead.  Mr Beirne stated he had reported this via both the County Council and District Council on many occasions over the last few years but it remained unresolved.  The main issue was that enforcement officers cannot enforce restrictions if signage is incorrect or missing.  Richard Speller agreed to follow this up and report back via the Progress Statement for the next meeting.

·         A resident of Imberhorne Lane reported people walking through the hedgerow as a cut through and how dangerous this was.  He had raised this with the developer who had responded stating they had no responsibility for this.  The Area Highways Manager updated on planned works that include footpaths and crossing points.  However the hedgerows are the responsibility of the landowner and Richard Speller undertook to help the resident liaise with the landowner to get the hedgerows maintained correctly.

·         East Grinstead Cycle Forum asked about a rejected Community Highway Scheme for Railway Approach.  The Area Highways Manager updated stating although rejected via that process it could still be progressed via other routes (LTIP). Further updates on LTIP schemes would be included in future Progress Statements.

·         Dr Gibson submitted 3 questions in advance of the meeting.  Those questions and the responses are attached.

 

 

18.

Prioritisation of Traffic Regulation Orders (NMS05(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 58 KB

The report by the Director of Highways and Transport details the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) requests received for this CLC area.

 

The Committee are asked to consider the TROs and prioritise the top two for progression.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved:

 

To progress the 2 highest scoring TROs from the list attached at Appendix A:

 

·         Ship Street

·         Lowdells Lane and Lingfield Road – to be progressed as 1 TRO.

 

It was also agreed that in the event of one of the above not being viable for progression as a TRO that the Committee approve the Area around Queen Victoria Hospital as their third option.

 

The call-in deadline is 21 November 2018.

Minutes:

18.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways and Transport which detailed applications for Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).  The Area Highways Manager introduced the report and explained that none of the requests had been formally scored but the Red, Amber, Green gave suggested the highest priority.  The Area Highways Manager also explained that the Committee had 2 priorities to select as they had not selected last year’s priority.  He also suggested they want to choose a 3rd option as a reserve in case after scoring either of the top 2 could not be progressed

 

 

18.2   Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved to progress the 2 highest scoring TROs from the list attached at Appendix A, those being:

 

·         Ship Street

·         Lowdells Lane and Lingfield Road – to be progressed as 1 TRO.

 

18.3   It was also agreed that in the event of one of the above not being viable for progression as a TRO that the Committee approve the Area around Queen Victoria Hospital as their third option.

 

19.

Proposed Traffic Regulation Order - Calluna Drive, Copthorne (NMS06(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 49 KB

A new Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is proposed to avoid danger to persons or traffic using the affected length of road and to facilitate the safe passage of traffic.   A three week statutory consultation for the TRO ran between 22nd March and 12th April 2018. Nine comments of support and six objections were received which have been summarised in Appendix B to this Report.    

 

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are asked to considered the objections raised and authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to make the Order as detailed in the revised scheme at Appendix C.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee (CLC) had previously prioritised the need for traffic restrictions on Calluna Drive, Copthorne.

 

At the meeting on 13 November 2018 the Committee resolved:

That the resulting benefits to the community outweighed the objections raised and the Committee authorised the Director of Law and Assurance to make the order as per the revised scheme detailed in Appendix C of the attached report:

 

However since the meeting the CLC has received representations from a considerable number of local people who want to see the originally proposed scheme implemented.  Their views were not previously recorded as they had not formally responded to the consultation – perhaps assuming supporters did not need to respond.

 

Therefore under Standing Order 5.12 of the County Council’s Constitution this decision has been withdrawn.  The CLC has notified the Director of Law and Assurance of its intention to reconsider the proposal at the next meeting of the CLC on 5 February 2019.

 

 

 

Minutes:

19.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways and Transport that detailed the public consultation results of proposals for traffic restrictions on Calluna Drive, Copthorne.

 

19.2   The Area Highways Manager introduced the report and explained that the recommendation to Members was to approve a revised scheme, as detailed in Appendix C of the attached report.

 

19.3   Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved that the resulting benefits to the community outweighed the objections raised and the Committee therefore authorised the Director of Law and Assurance to make the order as per the revised scheme detailed in Appendix C of the attached report.

 

19.4   POST MEETING NOTE 21 November 2018:  The proposed decision made by the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee in relation to a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) in Calluna Drive, Copthorne (NMS6(18/19) refers) has been withdrawn under Standing Order 5.12 of the County Council’s Constitution.  This allows the CLC to notify the Director or Law and Assurance of its intention to reconsider any proposal, at any time before the expiry of call-in, which in this case was 5.00 p.m. on Wednesday, 21 November 2018.

 

The scheme which was the subject of the proposed decision was a reduction of the original proposal as six objections had been received and the revised scheme took into account the views of those objectors.  Since the meeting of the CLC, both the Chairman, Mrs Brunsdon, and the local member, Mr Acraman, have received representations from a considerable number of local people who want to see the larger scheme implemented.  Their views were not previously recorded as they had not formally responded to the consultation – perhaps assuming supporters did not need to respond.

 

All members of the CLC have therefore been consulted and the majority now agree that the TRO proposal should be reviewed and submitted for reconsideration to the next meeting of the CLC.  The proposal has therefore been withdrawn for further consideration and will be submitted to the next meeting of the CLC on 5 February 2019.

 

20.

North Mid Sussex Community Initiative Funding (NMS07(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 73 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises the Community Initiative Funding applications received via The West Sussex Crowd.  The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding if appropriate.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved:

 

That the following awards be made:

 

203/NMS – Sussex Clubs for Young People, Streetmate - £3,000 towards purchasing a new vehicle to transport sports coaches, youth workers and equipment.

 

The Committee also agreed to set aside up to £4,000 of their Community Initiative Fund to purchase a replacement Speed Indictor Device (SID).

 

The call-in deadline is 21 November 2018.

Minutes:

20.1   The Committee welcomed Sarah Howland, Chairman of the Stone Quarry Crew.  Sarah provided feedback on the successful crowdfunding project for a new café counter.  She thanked Sue Barnes from the County Councils Community Team for all her help and support with the project and reported that the counter would be installed tomorrow.  She stated that although the new West Sussex Crowd was positive for them, it did involve a lot of volunteer time to establish and promote the project and she worried that smaller group would not have the resources or time to put into such a system.

 

20.2   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes), which detailed applications for Community Initiative Funding.  The Committee debated the respective merits of the projects for which funding was sought.

 

20.3   Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved that the following awards be made:

 

203/NMS – Sussex Clubs for Young People, Streetmate - £3,000 towards purchasing a new vehicle to transport sports coaches, youth workers and equipment.

 

20.4   The Committee also agreed to set aside up to £4,000 of their Community Initiative Fund to purchase a replacement Speed Indictor Device (SID).

21.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies (NMS08(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 49 KB

Report by Executive Director of Children, Adults, Families, Health & Education

 

The Committee are asked to approve the nominations of Authority School Governors as set out in the report.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved:

 

That the following nomination for reappointment be approved:

 

Mrs Gillian Santi to St Marys CE Primary School, East Grinstead.

 

The call-in deadline is 21 November 2018.

Minutes:

21.1   The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director of Children, Adults, Families, Health and Education (copy attached to the signed minutes).

 

21.2   Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved that the following nomination for reappointment be approved:

 

Mrs Gillian Santi to St Marys CE Primary School, East Grinstead.

22.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 5 February 2018 at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Monique Smart via email: monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 22540.

Minutes:

22.1   The Chairman confirmed that the next meeting of the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee would take palce on Tuesday 5 February 2019 at a venue to be confirmed in East Grinstead.