Agenda, decisions and minutes

South Chichester County Local Committee
Tuesday, 5th November, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Committee Room 3, County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RQ

Contact: Jenna Barnard on 033 022 24525  Email:  jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

16.

Welcome and Introductions

Members of the South Chichester County Local Committee are Jamie Fitzjohn, Louise Goldsmith, Jeremy Hunt, Pieter Montyn, Simon Oakley, and Carol Purnell.

Minutes:

16.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting. Members and Officers introduced themselves.

17.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

 

It is recorded in the register of interests that:

·      Mr Fitzjohn is a Substitute Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Ms Goldsmith is a Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Mr Hunt is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy, Goodwood Aerodrome Consultative Committee, Goodwood Education Trust and the Goodwood Motor Circuit Consultative Committee

·      Mr Montyn is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy and the Goodwood Aerodrome Consultative Committee

·      Mr Oakley is a member of Chichester District Council and Tangmere Parish Council

·      Mrs Purnell is a member of Selsey Town Council and Chichester District Council.

 

These interests only need to be declared at the meeting if there is an agenda item to which they relate.

Minutes:

17.1   None declared.

 

17.2   Members noted the list of their relevant interests on the agenda.

18.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 69 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 18 June 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

18.1   Resolved – that the minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

19.

Urgent Matters

Items not on the agenda that the Chairman of the meeting is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances.

Minutes:

19.1   None.

20.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 117 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the document.

Minutes:

20.1   The Committee considered the progress statement on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

20.2   Resolved – That the Committee notes the progress statement.

 

20.3   Mr Jamie Fitzjohn let the committee and members of the public know that there was a live petition for the removal of the lights at the Hornet should anyone wish to sign.

21.

Talk With Us Open Forum

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question 2 days before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

21.1   The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open

forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on

items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council

has jurisdiction. The following issues were raised and responses made.

 

21.2   There were 2 written questions in advance:

- Mr Mike Dicker regarding free parking on remembrance Sunday; Miles Davey (Parking Manager) replied in advance saying that all West Sussex County Council on-street parking is already free on Sundays and if Mr Dicker was referring to Car Parks, this would be a matter for Chichester District Council.
- Mr Dean regarding the Hornet Traffic Lights which was responded to by Roger Elkins; please see attached.

- Mrs Jenny Bentall-Morris attended the meeting to ask for the Committees support for a blanket 20mph in Bosham; Ms Louise Goldsmith said she would go back to Mrs Bentall-Morris to discuss taking this forward.

21.3   Further questions asked at the meeting were:

- Mr Mike Dicker also asked a question regarding the A27/BABA campaign and the next steps, what are the committee, as the most local members, going to do about the issue. The members agreed to lobby and push together as a committee and as individual members to drive this forward after the election.

- Mr Alan Carr attended to ask the committee about street lighting in the Whyke area of Chichester, over the Whyke Lane and Grove Road Railway bridges. Particularly the northern end of the Whyke Lane bridge as there was a heritage lamp that has not been replaced and does not light up as well as the rest of the bridge. Mr Jamie Fitzjohn agreed to follow through with the City/District council to confirm if it is them or WSCC who would be responsible for this. He also agreed to ask them to write to the resident of 192 Whyke Lane to see if they are able to maintain their vegetation to reduce the obstruction of the lamps.

 

- A representative from King George Gardens attended to thank the Committee and the highways teams for all their support and work on the recent scheme implemented there.

- Mr Tupper attended to give an update on the recent Passenger Benefit Fund to the Committee, as the county had been allocated 1.5million from the fund and informed the committee and those in attendance that this had been spent on the improvements of seating, lighting, bottle holders and station improvements. The committee thanked Mr Tupper for all of his hard work on the scheme.  

 

 

22.

Prioritisation of Traffic Regulation Orders (SC03(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 225 KB

The Committee is asked to prioritise the progression of Traffic Regulation Orders in the area based on the attached report and supporting documents.

Decision:

Community requests for Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) that cost under £3,000 to implement are considered annually by County Local Committees (CLCs). More complex TROs are considered for progression as a Community Highways Scheme and so fall outside the process.

The TRO requests received since July 2018 have been assessed and scored and the results are attached for the CLC to consider and prioritise in line with the Cabinet Member Report for Traffic Regulation Orders – Assessment and Implementation Process (see link in Background Papers) for progression in the 2010/21 works programme.

At its meeting on 05 November 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee agreed to progress the highest TRO from the list attached at Appendix A.

The following TRO was agreed for progression:

• Selsey Road, Hunston – Speed Limit

The call-in deadline for this decision is 13 November 2019.

Minutes:

22.1   Community requests for Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) that cost under £3,000 to implement are considered annually by County Local Committees (CLCs). More complex TROs are considered for progression as a Community Highways Scheme and so fall outside the process.

22.2   The TRO requests received since July 2018 have been assessed and scored and the results are attached for the CLC to consider and prioritise in line with the Cabinet Member Report for Traffic Regulation Orders – Assessment and Implementation Process (see link in Background Papers) for progression in the 2010/21 works programme.

22.3   At its meeting on 05 November 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee agreed to progress the highest TRO from the list attached at Appendix A.

The following TRO was agreed for progression:

• Selsey Road, Hunston – Speed Limit

 

22.4   Mrs Carol Purnell did not feel that it was correct that the other TRO (North Road, Selsey) did not go forward as it was only on the border of being scored a 10 and should have been progressed on safety grounds.


22.5   Mrs Carol Purnell requested that the Committee as a whole lobby the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure via letter to request that this be taken forward under exception. Not all members agreed on this request which led to a vote.

22.6   It was agreed on a 5 to 1 (Mrs Purnell) vote by the Committee that Mrs Carol Purnell should re-visit this TRO application to gather more community support and submit it with the applicant in the 2020-2021 round for consideration and scoring.

 

22.7   As the Committee had only used 1 of its allocated TRO allowances, it was agreed that the Committee would write to the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure to request that they could roll over any unused allowance to the next round of TRO prioritisation.


23.

Highway Service Level Update: New Community Opportunities pdf icon PDF 161 KB

The Committee to receive a Service Level Update from the Area Highways Manager based on the attached report.

Minutes:

23.1   Chris Dye, Area Highways Manager, introduced the report and made the following comments:

 

23.2   Following Scrutiny at Select Committee the Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport & Planning approved the revised service levels that are contained within the new Infrastructure Maintenance Plan.

23.3   Mr Dye explained that, as set out on page 20, specifically points 1.2-1.4, the main reasons for introducing the new Infrastructure Maintenance Plan and revised service levels, was as a result of the reduced revenue budgets that have been given and as well as this there has been introduction of a new Code of Practice which was released by the Department for Transport. We have been, and in some cases are still operating on the new replacement Code of Practice “well maintained highways”, we need to ensure that we align all our processes and services to becoming more intelligence led and risk based.

 

23.4   He the referred the committee to page 21, point 2.4, that summarised the changes in the various service levels, some of which have been in operation for a number of months.

 

23.5   The Committee requested that, in light of the reduction in winter gritting, West Sussex County Council promote organisations and websites that provide information on safe driving in icy conditions and the need to get the West Sussex County Council gritting route webpage up to date as soon as possible.

 

24.

City Wide Parking Management Plan pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The Committee to receive an update on the Chichester City Wide Parking Management Plan.

Minutes:

 24.1  The Committee noted the update from Miles Davey (Parking Manager) and requested further clarification on whether the Chichester City Parking Management Plan could come to the 3 March 2020 County Local Committee meeting given the short period between the current planned end of the statutory consult period and the next meeting.

25.

Chichester District Council - Infrastructure Business Plan: Project 353 pdf icon PDF 164 KB

The Committee and others present to receive an update on Project 353 in the CDC Infrastructure Business Plan: A contribution towards planned improvements to the Spitalfield Lane/St Pancras/Westhampnett Road and St James/Westhampnett Road mini-roundabouts.

Minutes:

25.1   The Committee noted the update and highlighted their concerns regarding the complexity and risk of this scheme and await further information.

26.

Community Initiative Funding (SC04(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises the Community Initiative Funding applications received via The West Sussex Crowd.  The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding if appropriate.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects.  Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.

 

At its meeting on 05 November 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding applications received via the West Sussex Crowd as set out in Appendix A.


The following pledges were approved: -

415/SC – Chichester Forest Schools CIC, ‘Ecotherapy training and equipment’, £650.49 – towards providing woodland wellbeing therapy sessions for young people and adults with mental health difficulties.

421/SC – Arts Dream Selsey, ‘Equipment purchase’, £711.80 – towards purchasing energy-saving production and recording equipment for community use.

422/SC – Chichester Community Development Trust, ‘Children in the chapel; interactive play, up to £2000.00 – towards purchasing equipment and seating for a new interactive play area within Graylingwell Chapel.

 

389/SC – Selsey Community Forum, ‘Shop Talk’, £750.00 – towards the cost of premises hire at The Selsey Hub to hold inclusive social gatherings for vulnerable residents. 

 

437/SC – Royal Artillery Equestrian Centre, ‘Saddle for disabled riders’, up to £1,500.00 – towards purchasing an adaptable saddle supportive of all riding standards to facilitate disabled people’s access to horse riding.

The call-in deadline for this decision is 13 November 2019.

 

Minutes:

26.1   The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects. Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.

 

26.2   At its meeting on 05 November 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding applications received via the West Sussex Crowd as set out in Appendix A.

 

(a)        The following pledges were approved:


415/SC – Chichester Forest Schools CIC, ‘Ecotherapy training and equipment’, £650.49 – towards providing woodland wellbeing therapy sessions for young people and adults with mental health difficulties.
421/SC – Arts Dream Selsey, ‘Equipment purchase’, £711.80 – towards purchasing energy-saving production and recording equipment for community use.
422/SC – Chichester Community Development Trust, ‘Children in the chapel; interactive play, up to £2000.00 – towards purchasing equipment and seating for a new interactive play area within Graylingwell Chapel.
389/SC – Selsey Community Forum, ‘Shop Talk’, £750.00 – towards the cost of premises hire at The Selsey Hub to hold inclusive social gatherings for vulnerable residents.
437/SC – Royal Artillery Equestrian Centre, ‘Saddle for disabled riders’, up to £1,500.00 – towards purchasing an adaptable saddle supportive of all riding standards to facilitate disabled people’s access to horse riding.

27.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies (SC05(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 191 KB

Report by Director of Education and Skills.

 

The Committee are asked to approve the re-nominations and nominations of Authority School Governors as set out in the report.

Decision:

The function of the nomination of school governors to maintained schools and academies is delegated to County Local Committees (CLCs) as it enables county councillors to maintain a valuable link with the schools and helps promote to the wider public the important role of school governors.

 

Under the Education Act 2011 local authority governors are nominated by the local authority but appointed by the governing body. The CLC can nominate any eligible person as a local authority governor, but it is for the governing body to decide whether their nominee has the skills to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school and meets any other eligibility criteria they have set.

 

At its meeting on 05 November 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee approved the following nominations under the 2012 Regulations:

 

Nomination for reappointment:

 

• Mr Nigel Bloodworth to Southbourne Junior School for a four-year term.

 

 

Nominations for appointment:

 

Rev’d Graham Steel to West Wittering Primary School for a four-year term

• Mr Richard Murfitt to Singleton C.E Primary School for a four-year term

 

The call-in deadline for this decision is 13 November 2019.

 

Minutes:

27.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Education and Skills (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

27.2   Resolved – that the following nominations for (appointment & reappointment) under the 2012 Regulations be approved:

 

Nomination for reappointment:

• Mr Nigel Bloodworth to Southbourne Junior School for a four-year term.

Nominations for appointment:

Rev’d Graham Steel to West Wittering Primary School for a four-year term
• Mr Richard Murfitt to Singleton C.E Primary School for a four-year term

 

 

28.

Items for Future Meetings

·       County Local Committee Review Report

·       Community Highway Schemes

·       Chichester County Hall Parking

·       Chichester City Sustainable Transport Package

·       Chichester City Northern Gateway

Minutes:

28.1   The Chairman referred the members to the list of items that were proposed for the next meeting.

 

28.2   The Chairman request that the City Wide Parking Management Plan is added to the future items.

29.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 03 March 2020 in Committee Room 3, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Jenna Barnard via email: jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 24525.

Minutes:

29.1 The Committee noted that the next meeting would take place on Tuesday 03 March 2019 (not the printed agenda date of 09 March),  in Committee Room 3 at County Hall, Chichester.