Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

North Mid Sussex County Local Committee
Monday, 21st October, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Meridian Hall, College Lane, East Grinstead RH19 3LT

Contact: Adam Chisnall 033 022 28314  Email: adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

14.

Welcome and introductions

Members of North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are Bill Acraman, Liz Bennett, Heidi Brunsdon, Andrew Lea and Jacquie Russell.

Minutes:

14.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Members and Officers introduced themselves.

15.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

Minutes:

15.1   None declared.

16.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 212 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 25 June 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

16.1   Resolved – that the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

17.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 125 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

Minutes:

17.1   The Committee considered the progress statement on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

17.2   The Chairman introduced the report which gave updates on issues raised at previous meetings.

 

17.3   Mr Speller talked through the highways elements of the Progress Statement and confirmed that the Road Space Audit was progressing and that Stakeholder events were planned in early 2020.  Mr Speller resolved to include in future Progress Statements how the Speed Indicator Device, purchased by the committee, had been used in the area.  Members queried how the data from the device would be used.  – Mr Speller confirmed that the data was submitted to the Police Liaison Officer for use with Operation Crackdown.

 

17.4   Mr Speller noted the action regarding traffic volumes in the Central and South Mid Sussex County Local Committee area and agreed to speak directly with the Parish Councillor who raised the query.

 

17.5   Mr Speller apologised that the recent linage that had been painted in Calluna Drive did not match the decision made by Committee at their last meeting.  The lineage matched an alternative version that had previously gone out for consultation.  The Committee were asked if the current lineage had matched the decision’s intention, and therefore a new decision should be made to confirm this; or the previous decision was correct and the lineage should be changed to match the plans.  The Committee unanimously agreed that the previous decision was correct and that the lineage should be changed.  Mr Speller resolved to amend the lineage as soon as possible.

 

17.6   Members queried progress on De La Warr Road. Mr Speller confirmed that this was being delivered via Long Term Improvement Scheme (LTIPS) rather than the Community Highways Route and informed the Committee that Mid Sussex District Council had moved disabled parking bays to assist with the scheme.

 

17.7   Resolved – That the Committee notes the progress statement and requests that the lineage in Calluna Drive be corrected to match the decision taken at the last meeting (NMS01(19/20)).

18.

Talk With Us Open Forum

The Committee would like to invite questions from the public present at the meeting.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

18.1   The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised over areas which the County Council has a reasonable interest. The following issues were raised and responses made.

 

·         Three questions had been submitted in advance.

o        One regarding overgrown vegetation on Ship Street. – Mrs Russell reported that the vegetation around the lights had been previously trimmed back.  Mr Speller explained that some of the vegetation was on private land and the contractor, SSE, was only able to trim the lights.  The resident reported that 3 lights were still obscured.  Mr Speller and Mrs Russell resolved to look into the issue.

o        One regarding the infrastructure investment required for the proposed extra homes in the East Grinstead area.  – The Chairman resolved to raise this with the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure.

o        One querying the delay to the Imberhorne Lane traffic calming scheme.  – The Chairman noted the delay, but confirmed that works were now scheduled from 20 January to 14 February.  The road would not be closed during the works, but temporary traffic lights would be in place.

·         A resident noted the parking scheme agenda item and explained that they had submitted a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) for Blackwell Road, but this had not been progressed due to the Road Space Audit.  – Mr Speller explained that he was working with Mrs Bennett on the plans for Queen Victoria Hospital.  Blackwell Road would be picked up in this work as the hospital looked to manage their parking.

·         A parish councillor noted the reference in the Progress Statement on the discrepancy for the Calluna Drive TRO and reported that the option to change the current lineage to match the CLC decision would be their preferred option.

·         A resident sought assurance that the subway at Sackville School would not be closed, and highlighted that it needed tidying.  – Mrs Russell gave assurance that the subway would not close, and reported that the new toucan crossing had high usage.  A meeting was planned with Mrs Russell, Mr Speller and residents to discuss licenses for subway maintenance.  Mr Speller confirmed that the County Council’s Structures Team were only responsible for the structural elements of the subway.

·         A resident queried the recent works on Maypole road and highlighted that it had not been resurfaced, but surface dressed instead.  – Mr Speller explained that resurfacing cost £60 per sqm; micro asphalt cost £10 per sqm; and surface dressing cost £3-5 per sqm.  The type of surface works would have been chosen due to budget reasons.  The resident reported that the lineage needed replacing and that several areas had been missed.  Mr Speller resolved to audit the site with the resident when the works were completed.

·         A resident queried if the highways department would be involved in heavy vehicle routes if a new landfill site was introduced.  – The Chairman asked the resident to contact her directly with the details and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

East Grinstead Residents' Parking Scheme Review (NMS05(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 117 KB

Report by Director of Highways, Transport and Planning.

 

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee is asked to make a decision on whether to implement changes to parking/waiting restrictions in roads within the East Grinstead Parking Scheme following a public consultation.

 

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee is asked to consider the objections raised and authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to bring the Traffic Regulation Order into operation as advertised.

Additional documents:

Decision:

At its meeting on 21 October 2019, the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee considered the report from the Director of Highways, Transport and Planning.

 

The Committee, having considered the objections raised, agreed to authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to bring the Traffic Regulation Order into operation as advertised.

 

The call-in deadline is 29 October 2019.

Minutes:

19.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways, Transport and Planning (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

19.2   Mrs Napper introduced the report which would look to ensure all parking restrictions in the area were enforceable and best use was being made of the highway via small scale proposals.  A sign that referred to voucher permits would also be updated to reflect that vouchers were no longer available.   

 

19.3   The Committee made comments including those that follow.

 

     Raised concerns on the Dallaway Gardens proposals, but noted that they needed to be included to progress the whole scheme.  - Mrs Napper confirmed the need for the road to be included so that the mention of vouchers could be removed as these were no longer available and the sign could mislead motorists.

     Queried if a review process that would follow implementation. – Mrs Napper gave confirmation that a review would be performed following the implementation to ensure the scheme was appropriate. 

     Mrs Russell, as the local member, gave support to the proposals following confirmation that a review would follow implementation.

 

19.4   Resolved – That the Committee, having considered the objections raised, agree to authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to bring the Traffic Regulation Order into operation as advertised.

20.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies (NMS06(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 139 KB

Report by Director of Education and Skills.

 

The Committee are asked to approve the nominations of Authority School Governors as set out in the report.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The function of the nomination of school governors to maintained schools and academies is delegated to County Local Committees (CLCs) as it enables county councillors to maintain a valuable link with the schools and helps promote to the wider public the important role of school governors.

 

Under the Education Act 2011 local authority governors are nominated by the local authority but appointed by the governing body. The CLC can nominate any eligible person as a local authority governor, but it is for the governing body to decide whether their nominee has the skills to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school and meets any other eligibility criteria they have set.

 

At its meeting on 21 October 2019 the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee approved the following nominations under the 2012 Regulations:

 

 

Nominations for reappointment:

 

• Mr Nicholas (Nick) Hodges to St Peter’s Catholic Primary School, East Grinstead for a further four year term

• Mr Robert Darvill (Bob) to Imberhorne School for a further four year term

 

 

Nomination for appointment:

 

• Mr Kim Beasley to Handcross Primary School for a four year term

 

The call-in deadline is 29 October 2019.

Minutes:

20.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Education and Skills (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

20.2   Resolved – that the following nominations for reappointment and appointment under the 2012 Regulations be approved:

 

Nominations for reappointment:

 

      Mr Nicholas (Nick) Hodges to St Peter’s Catholic Primary School, East Grinstead for a further four year term

      Mr Robert Darvill (Bob) to Imberhorne School for a further four year term

 

Nomination for appointment:

 

      Mr Kim Beasley to Handcross Primary School for a four year term

21.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Wednesday 26 February 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Adam Chisnall via email: adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 28314.

Minutes:

21.1   The Committee noted that the next meeting would take place on Wednesday 26 February 2019 at a venue to be confirmed.