Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

North Horsham County Local Committee
Monday, 17th June, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Main Conference Room, County Hall North (Parkside), Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1XH

Contact: Jenna Barnard on 033 022 24525  Email:  jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and introductions

Members of North Horsham County Local Committee are Peter Catchpole, Nigel Dennis, Amanda Jupp, Liz Kitchen, Morwen Millson, Christian Mitchell, Andrew Baldwin and Nigel Jupp.

 

Minutes:

1.1        Adam Chisnall opened the meeting and asked members and officers

to introduce themselves.

 

 

 

2.

Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman

The Committee is asked to elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman for the North Horsham County Local Committee for the 2019/20 municipal year.

Minutes:

2.1     RESOLVED that Mr Peter Catchpole be elected Chairman of the  North Horsham County Local Committee for the municipal year 2019/20.

 

2.2     RESOLVED that Mrs Amanda Jupp be elected Vice Chairman of the  North Horsham County Local Committee for the municipal year 2019/20.

 

3.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

3.1     None declared.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 52 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 25 February 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

4.1     RESOLVED – that the minutes of the meeting held 25 February 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

5.

Urgent Matters

Minutes:

5.1     Amanda Jupp gave a short presentation on the Health and Wellbeing Board Strategy.

 

5.2     Further to the current CLC review that is taking place, members  agreed to take 5 minutes to discuss their collective views, the format and purpose of CLC and different options for the future.

·     The main item that arose this item from both the members and the residents was that it was felt that there would be better attendance from across the CLC if there was a more flexible/change in venue for this committee.

·       Several residents took the opportunity to stress that they felt that the Committee meetings were a vital tool for members of the public to be heard but also to hear from members about what is going on in their local areas.

·       Free parking could be better advertised if the meetings were to remain at County Hall North.

·       Parish and Neighbourhood Council Meetings could be cross checked for clashes.

 

 

6.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 63 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.1     The Committee considered the progress statement on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes) and the following comments and actions were noted:

 

·       Horsham Hospital – Chris Stark has written to the hospital to 2 different contacts but with no response. Amanda Jupp agreed to write to the hospital in her position as Cabinet Member for Adults and Health and confirmed she would query whether the Audiology Clinic was exacerbating the issue.

·       North of Horsham Development – Members have been assured that they are being kept fully informed with a briefing planned later in the summer.

·       Horsham Town Centre Cycling – Area Highways Manager confirmed the programme for works is now resolved. Cycling signage – no further improvements possible currently.

·       Wimblehurst Road Area Highways Manager confirmed that at present highways are organising a CAD design for the groundworks. Once completed it will need to be arranged with SSE for the relocation of the illuminated lighting column at the junction, and then work will be raised with the contractor for the remainder of the works required. Given the various elements to the works it is proving to be a slower process than hoped, but it is being progressed as fast as possible.

·       Downs-link – This is currently progressing. It was confirmed that there is currently a holdup with Network Rail’s legal team.

·       Faygate – The feasibility is yet to be received. Member asked if the speed surrounding the plan for the petrol station can be assessed. Area Highways Manager agreed to investigate.

 

7.

Hill Mead Horsham - Proposed Stopping Up Order (NH01(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 48 KB

The owner of 86 Hill Mead, Horsham is seeking County Council approval to progress an application to stop up an area of highway adjacent to their property so that the land can be incorporated into their land. The land serves no useful purpose as public highway and removal of the highway status will remove the public maintenance liability.

 

The Committee is asked to approve the proposal to stop up the relevant area of public highway.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to make an application to the Magistrates Court for an Order to stop up the highway as summarised in this report and shown on the plan attached at Appendix A.


The call-in deadline is 25 June 2019.

Minutes:

7.1     RESOLVED – that the North Horsham County Local Committee;

 

·       Authorises the Director of Law and Assurance to make an application to the Magistrates Court for an Order to stop up the highway as summarised in the report, by unanimous vote.



8.

North Horsham Community Initiative Funding (NH02(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 38 KB

There are no Community Initiative Fund Pitches to consider at this meeting.

The Committee is asked to note the attached funding summary report.

 

Decision:

At its meeting on 17 June 2019 the North Horsham County Local Committee agreed to consider the Community Initiative Funding applications which had been received after the agenda had been published.  The details of the projects and pledges are outlined below.

The following pledges were approved: -

 

375/NH – Horsham and Shipley Community Project, £750 towards Tree surgery on the grounds and maintenance of the Club House.

 

376/NH – Friends of Horsham Park, £750 towards Website design and set-up.

 

377/NH – SAGE Counselling, £613 towards equipment, stationery and marketing materials.

 

378/NH - Men’s Sheds – Horsham,£750 towards kitchen refurbishment and equipment.

379/NH – Horsham Life Saving Club,£480 towards training materials and equipment.

 

380/NH - Southwater Youth Project, £750 towards Summer Funfest event set-up, lighting, staging and equipment.

 

The following application was conditionally approved on the basis that the applicant submits a full formal application by the end of the week beginning 24 June:

MyCareMatters, £750 towards
Advance Care Planning Toolkits.


The call-in deadline is 25 June 2019.

Minutes:

8.1     The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

8.2     Resolved – that the committee notes the report and;

 

(a)        that the following award(s) be made:

 

375/NH – Horsham and Shipley Community Project, £750 towards Tree surgery on the grounds and maintenance of the Club House.

 

376/NH – Friends of Horsham Park, £750 towards Website design and set-up.

 

377/NH – SAGE Counselling, £613 towards equipment, stationery and marketing materials.

 

378/NH - Men’s Sheds – Horsham, £750 towards kitchen refurbishment and equipment.

379/NH – Horsham Life Saving Club, £480 towards training materials and equipment.

 

380/NH - Southwater Youth Project, £750 towards Summer Funfest event set-up, lighting, staging and equipment.

 

The following application was conditionally approved on the basis that the applicant submits a full formal application by the end of the week beginning 24 June:

MyCareMatters, £750 towards Advance Care Planning Toolkits.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

Allocation of the Community Initiative Fund pdf icon PDF 61 KB

The Committee is asked to consider the attached report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

Minutes:

9.1     The Committee considered the report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

9.2     Resolved – That the Committee notes the report.

 

10.

Talk With Us Open Forum

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

10.1 The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council has jurisdiction. The following issues were raised, and responses made.

 

·       Mr Philip Ayerst attended to present his and other’s concerns over the road safety outside Forest Boys School in Horsham and the report which outlined how the County Council has been asked by leaders of the school and the Local Member to address safety concerns outside the School where there is a child casualty history associated with the journey to and from school.The Chairman confirmed to Mr Ayerst that the Committee understood that the Local Member and the leaders of the school wanted to address safety concerns outside Forest School which led to this proposed improvement and as you know the Local Member was not able to be present at the last CLC meeting due to illness.  Members of the CLC have suggested to Officers that further consideration might be given to investigate a revised improvement, that may allow a re-evaluation of the site including the status of the tree. 

·       Local resident Mark Treasure attended to ask the committee if it would be possible to get the funding to place a light controlled crossing to enable residents to cross the A24 safely at the Tesco, Highwoods roundabout. The Area Highways Manager confirmed that there are plans in place for new lane direction signs. It was also confirmed that it could be eligible for a Community Highways Scheme, which could take up to 2 years to complete.

·       Mr Ivor Gibbs attended to ask the Committee what their views are on the Broadbridge Heath road closure and to make the committee aware that there is a current petition running as set-up by the Helen Eade of Broadbridge Heath. Member Christian Mitchell confirmed to Mr Gibbs that this Road Closure plan was always a Horsham District Council decision but will be meeting with the Warnham Parishes to discuss the matter.

·       Rusper Parish Council member attended to ask about process for an application for the community highways scheme. Christ Stark confirmed that it is all an online process and would take up to 2 years to implement.

 

11.

Vacancies for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies pdf icon PDF 24 KB

The Committee are asked to note the vacancies of Authority School Governors as set out in the attached.

Minutes:

11.1   The vacancies were noted, and applications encouraged by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

12.

Items for next meeting

·       West Sussex Crowd

·       Road Space Audit

·       Horsham Growth Deal

Minutes:

12.1   Items were noted by the Committee.

13.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7pm on Monday 4 November 2019, at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Jenna Barnard via email: jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 24525.

Minutes:

13.1   The Chairman confirmed that the next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7pm on Monday 4 November 2019 at County Hall North.