Agenda, decisions and minutes

South Chichester County Local Committee
Tuesday, 5th February, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Committee Room 3, County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RQ

Contact: Adam Chisnall on 033 022 28314  Email:  adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

31.

Welcome and Introductions

Members of the South Chichester County Local Committee are Jamie Fitzjohn, Louise Goldsmith, Jeremy Hunt, Pieter Montyn, Simon Oakley, Viral Parikh and Carol Purnell.

Minutes:

31.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Members and Officers introduced themselves.

 

31.2   Ms Goldsmith highlighted the ‘Move and Improve’ leaflets which assisted residents with balance improvements.  Attendees from Parish councils asked to make contact if they wanted to a supply of the leaflets.

 

31.3   Mr Oakley also highlighted the Planning School Places document.

 

32.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

 

It is recorded in the register of interests that:

·      Mr Fitzjonn is a Substitute Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Ms Goldmsith is a Board Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Mr Hunt is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy, Goodwood Aerodrome Consultative Committee and the Goodwood Motor Circuit Consultative Committee

·      Mr Montyn is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Mr Oakley is a member of Chichester District Council and Tangmere Parish Council

·      Mrs Purnell is a member of Selsey Town Council and Chichester District Council.

 

These interests only need to be declared at the meeting if there is an agenda item to which they relate.

Minutes:

32.1   Mr Fitzjohn declared an addition to his register of interest in that his wife is an officer at West Sussex County Council.

 

32.2   Mr Fitzjohn declared a personal interest as his son is a veteran in relation to a discussion on remembrance day during Talk With Us.

 

32.3   Ms Goldsmith declared a personal interest as her son is serving in the forces in relation to a discussion on remembrance day during Talk With Us.

 

32.4   Ms Goldsmith declared a personal interest as a member of the Local Enterprise Partnership in relation to a discussion on Coast to Capital during Talk With Us.

 

32.5   Members noted the list of their relevant interests on the agenda.

33.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 88 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 30 October 2018 (cream paper).

Minutes:

33.1   Resolved – that the minutes of the meeting held on 30 October 2018 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

34.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 32 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the document.

Minutes:

34.1   The Committee considered the progress statement on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

34.2   The Chairman introduced the report which gave updates on issues

raised at the 30 October meeting.

 

34.3   Mr Fitzjohn reported that he was continuing to work with Chris Dye and other highway officers on the Hornet Traffic Lights.  The County Council’s legal team had confirmed that the current use of Unicorn House was ‘well established’.  The next process would be looking into litigation as the developer had paid for the crossing movement.  Once this work was completed officers would look into the implications of moving the crossing.  It was reported that Chichester District Council’s air quality monitoring had shown no change linked to the new crossing location.

 

34.4   Resolved – That the Committee notes the progress statement.

35.

Chichester Growth Programme pdf icon PDF 2 MB

The Committee to receive a presentation on the Chichester Growth Programme.

Minutes:

35.1   Paul Jackson-Cole, Growth Programme Delivery Manager, gave a presentation to the Committee on the Chichester Growth Programme (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

35.2   The Committee made comments including those that follow.

 

·         Queried how the use of railway lines for the Gigabit project would impact Manhood. Paul Jackson-Cole confirmed that other areas without railway access were being developed and that there were still opportunities to investigate a Manhood connection.

·         Asked when schools and the public would be connected to fibre broadband. Paul Jackson-Cole confirmed that schools and public could be connected as part of phase 1; phase 2 would also provide the opportunity for commercial and private residential connections.

·         Queried the cost for the project and the impact on the wider capital programme. Ms Goldsmith reported that the Gigabit project, which had coverage across much of West Sussex, had commenced under a grant from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in order to connect key public sector buildings within Chichester District.  Business rate relief was being used by West Sussex County Council to develop a wider network within the District that would allow greater levels of connectivity.

·         Sought clarity on the plans for the fire station. Ms Goldsmith explained that the biggest call for the fire service was highway incidents; this change in focus would be a consideration in a new location for the fire station.  Confirmation was given that the fire service were meeting call out times.

·         Queried the issues with various land ownerships. Paul Jackson-Cole confirmed that the growth programme was part of wider partnership with district and boroughs and, where appropriate, with the private sector.  Collaborative working would look to deliver the aspirations of the programme.

·         Asked if transport studies had been done for the city. Paul Jackson-Cole confirmed that the Transport Study being commenced to support the Chichester Vision would reflect existing studies and would be co-ordinated with on-going studies, including the Chichester Sustainable Transport Improvements Plan Study which was being developed to reflect Local Plan growth.

 

35.3   Paul Over, Executive Director & Deputy Chief Executive at Chichester District Council, felt the focus was on the right things for the city and that there were hopes to develop beyond the city in the future.

 

35.4   The Committee welcomed the update.

36.

Road Space Audit pdf icon PDF 975 KB

The Committee to receive an update on the Road Space Audit.

Minutes:

36.1   Miles Davy, Parking Manager, gave a presentation to the Committee on the Proposed Parking Management Plan for Chichester as part of the Road Space Audit (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

36.2   Miles Davy explained that the current view was reactive which led to the moving of issues from one place to another.  The proposals would look to be proactive with parking management.  A city wide plan would prevent displacement. 

 

36.3   A frequently asked questions document had been created.  The presented proposals were an initial draft.  Members of the public were encouraged to participate in the consultation which would refine the proposals.

 

36.4   The Committee made comments including those that follow.

 

·         Noted that documents would be at the Library and Chichester District Council offices and asked if wider copies could be available within parishes and also district libraries. Miles Davy acknowledged the need for hard copies and resolved to look into this.  Members proposed contacting all parish councils via email.

·         Felt that the proposals could encourage a change in behaviour towards sustainable transport options.  Members welcomed any opportunities to improve bus flow.

·         Requested that disabled parking bays and carer permits were carefully considered.  Officers also should consider houses of multiple occupation.

·         Queried the decision process and how it would change if more consultation was required. Miles Davy reported that he would make recommendations to the Director of Highways and Transport if he felt more consultation was appropriate.  The Director would then consider this with the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure.

·         Welcomed the consultation and praised officers.  Members recognised the work was innovative but would also be a challenge.

 

36.5   The Committee welcomed the update and requested a further update at the June meeting.

37.

Parking Charges for evening and weekend Public Parking at County Hall, West Street, The Record Office, Orchard Street Chichester - Consultation response consideration (SC12(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 64 KB

The Committee will consider a summary of the responses following the consultation period for the ‘Parking Charges for evening and weekend Public Parking at County Hall, West Street, The Record Office, Orchard Street Chichester’ decision that was made at the 30 October 2018 meeting.

 

The consultation period ends on 31 January 2019.

 

If necessary, the Committee will make a decision on the implementation of the proposals.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

At its meeting on 5 February 2019, the South Chichester County Local Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Law & Assurance to bring the Traffic Regulation Order into operation as advertised.

 

The Committee also requested that officers undertake further consultation into permit schemes following representation that was made from a local residents’ association at the meeting.

 

The call-in deadline is 13 February 2019.

Minutes:

37.1   The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director of Economy, Infrastructure and Environment and Director of Highways & Transport (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

37.2   Mike O’Horan, Corporate Accommodation Lead, introduced the report and explained that fifteen representations had been received to the consultation, none of which supported the proposals.  However, two representations were in partial support.

 

37.3   The Chairman permitted one of the consultation responders, Mr Kidd from the West Walls Residents Association, to speak for three minutes.  Mr Kidd acknowledged the need for the County Council to make use of its assets, but did not approve of the scale of the parking charges.  A request was made for officers to consider resident visitor parking for neighbouring properties. Mike O’Horan responded to the comments by stating it would be difficult to introduce a permit scheme that would deal with local properties equally.  Mike O’Horan resolved to look into permit options, but explained this would not be part of the current proposal within the report.  Miles Davy added that such a proposal had scope for discussion, but would require legal investigation.

 

37.4   The Committee supported the proposal in the report, acknowledging that the County Council should be utilising assets for revenue income.  The Committee requested that officers look into the permit proposal.  - Miles Davy explained that the surrounding parking zones would make it difficult to enforce a uniform policy.  Miles Davy resolved to send zone data to the Committee members.

 

37.5   The Committee queried if the Chichester Business Information District (BID) had responded to the consultation. Mike O’Horan reported that Chichester BID had commented during the parking forums, but had not responded formally to the consultation.

 

37.6   The Committee highlighted that the electoral division section of the report should include Chichester South.

 

37.7   The Committee agreed to add an additional recommendation requesting that officers undertake further consultation into permit

schemes following the representation that had been made.

 

37.8   Resolved – That the South Chichester County Local Committee;

 

·         Authorises the Director of Law & Assurance to bring the Traffic Regulation Order into operation as advertised, by a majority vote.

 

·         Requests that officers undertake further consultation into permit schemes following the representation that had been made, by a unanimous vote.

38.

Talk With Us Open Forum

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

38.1   The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open

forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on

items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council

has jurisdiction. The following issues were raised and responses made.

 

·         A resident had submitted a question in advance concerning the Hornet Traffic Lights. The Chairman confirmed that this matter had been discussed during the Progress Statement item

·         A resident had submitted a question in advance concerning a proposal to hold a Car Free Day in Chichester.  - Members felt the proposal (to close Little London and Baffin’s Lane Car Parks) felt like a large amount of work for a minimal reward.  The success of the project would also be difficult to measure.  Members recommended that the proposal was put to the Cabinet Member for Environment to discuss with the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure.

·         A resident queried if free parking could be offered on remembrance Sundays.  Paul Over and Miles Davy agreed to refer this to the parking forum for discussion.

·         A resident queried the timescales for the growth plans. – Paul Over explained that the next stage was to appoint a development partner and that this stage was waiting on a closed court issue at central government.  Southern Gateway was expected to be 4-5 years.  Paul Jackson-Cole reported that the Northern Gateway was a long term ambition for the County Council and was in the early stages.

·         A resident asked if the £5m from Coast to Capital would be spent before the March deadline. – Paul Over confirmed that plans were in place to spend the money, but could not give details due to commercial confidentiality.

·         A resident queried if the parking audit plans would liaise with the planning department. – Miles Davy confirmed that there was constant dialogue with planning.

39.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies (SC10(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 49 KB

Report by Director of Education and Skills.

 

The Committee are asked to approve the nomination of Authority School Governor as set out in the report.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The function of the nomination of school governors to maintained schools and academies is delegated to County Local Committees (CLCs) as it enables county councillors to maintain a valuable link with the schools and helps promote to the wider public the important role of school governors.

 

Under the Education Act 2011 local authority governors are nominated by the local authority but appointed by the governing body. The CLC can nominate any eligible person as a local authority governor, but it is for the governing body to decide whether their nominee has the skills to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school and meets any other eligibility criteria they have set.

 

At its meeting on 5 February 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee approved the following nominations under the 2012 Regulations:

 

Nomination for appointment:

 

• Mrs Helen Magri to Chidham Parochial Primary School for

a four year term

 

The call-in deadline is 13 February 2019.

Minutes:

39.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Education and Skills (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

39.2   Resolved – that the following nomination for appointment under the 2012 Regulations be approved:

 

·         Mrs Helen Magri to Chidham Parochial Primary School for a four year term

40.

Community Initiative Funding (SC11(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 72 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises the Community Initiative Funding applications received via The West Sussex Crowd.  The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding if appropriate.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects.  Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.

 

At its meeting on 5 February 2019 the South Chichester County Local Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding applications received via the West Sussex Crowd as set out in Appendix A.


The following pledges were approved:-

 

297/SC - The Apuldram Centre, Go Gardening, up to £2,500.00 – Towards purchasing an additional transit van to expand its service within the local area.

 

310/SC – The Red Box Project Chichester & Midhurst, Little things make big differences, up to £96.00 – Towards purchasing red boxes and a donation point.

 

316/SC – Chichester Community Development Trust, Discover Your Future: Get Girls Going!, up to £1,500.00 – Towards the cost of  IT equipment provision.  This pledge was subject to the project receiving verification from Locality and the project’s aims not changing significantly when it begins the fundraising stage.

 

317/SC – Oving Scarecrows, Oving Scarecrow Day 2019, up to £200.00 – Towards expansion of the event.

 

The following project was declined:-

 

321/SC – Embrace Chichester, towards the cost of initial web design and publicity for a new community website proving information about local groups.  The Committee raised concerns that the website may be a duplication of existing resources.  The group were encouraged to reapply at a future meeting and provide more detail on the information and networks that would be provided by the proposed website; and how this would provide benefit to the community.

 

The call-in deadline is 13 February 2019.

Minutes:

40.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

40.2   Resolved -

 

(a) That the following awards be made:

 

·         297/SC - The Apuldram Centre, Go Gardening, up to £2,500.00 – Towards purchasing an additional transit van to expand its service within the local area.

 

·         310/SC – The Red Box Project Chichester & Midhurst, Little things make big differences, up to £96.00 – Towards purchasing red boxes and a donation point.

 

·         316/SC – Chichester Community Development Trust, Discover Your Future: Get Girls Going!, up to £1,500.00 – Towards the cost of  IT equipment provision.  This pledge is subject to the project receiving verification from Locality and the project’s aims not changing significantly when it begins the fundraising stage.

 

·         317/SC – Oving Scarecrows, Oving Scarecrow Day 2019, up to £200.00 – Towards expansion of the event.

 

(b) That the following project be declined:

 

·         321/SC – Embrace Chichester, towards the cost of initial web design and publicity for a new community website proving information about local groups.  The Committee has concerns that the website may be a duplication of existing resources.  The group are encouraged to reapply at a future meeting and provide more detail on the information and networks that would be provided by the proposed website; and how this would provide benefit to the community.

41.

Items for Future Meetings

• Growth Deal Updates

• Road Space Audit

• Highway Works Programme

• Operation Watershed

Minutes:

41.1   The Chairman referred the members to the list of items that were proposed for the next meeting.

42.

Report of Urgent Action

The Committee is asked to note that the Director of Law and Assurance, in consultation with the Chairman of the South Chichester County Local Committee and the Chairman of the Performance and Finance Select Committee, has used his delegated powers under Standing Order 3.45 to approve the following CIF Application:

 

282/SC– Dancing Together, £500 towards a programme of dance workshops for a group of disabled and non-disabled children.


Background Papers

 

Letters from the Director of Law and Assurance to the Chairman of the South Chichester County Local Committee and the Chairman of the Performance and Finance Select Committee dated 14 December 2018 which were published as part of decision SC9(18/19)

 

Contact: Adam Chisnall, 033 022 28314

Minutes:

42.1   The Committee noted the urgent action decision that the Director of Law and Assurance had taken in consultation with the Chairman of the South Chichester County Local Committee and the Chairman of the Performance and Finance Select Committee.

43.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 18 June 2019 in Committee Room 3, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Adam Chisnall via email: adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 28314.

Minutes:

43.1   The Committee noted that the next meeting would take place on Tuesday 18 June 2019 in Committee Room 3 at County Hall, Chichester.

 

43.2   The Chairman raised the proposed date for the November meeting and the Committee agreed to have the meeting on Tuesday 5 November.