Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Worthing County Local Committee - Monday, 2nd March, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: Worthing Town Football Club, Palatine Park, Palatine Road, Worthing, BN12 6JN

Contact: Monique Smart on 033 022 22540  Email:  monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

25.

Welcome and Introductions

The Members of Worthing County Local Committee (CLC) are Mr Noel Atkins, Mr Michael Cloake, Mr Paul High, Mr Sean McDonald, Mr Roger Oakley, Mr Bob Smytherman, Mrs Elizabeth Sparkes, Mr Bryan Turner and Mr Steve Waight

Minutes:

25.1   The Chairman welcomed members of the public to the meeting and asked Members and Officers to introduce themselves.

26.

Declarations of Interest

Members and Officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

Minutes:

26.1   The following declarations of interests were declared:

 

In relation to Agenda Item 10 CIF Application 484 as the applicant would be using some of the funds to hire Worthing Assembly Halls.  The following Members declared a personal interest as being Members of Worthing Borough Council: Noel Atkins, Steve Waight, Elizabeth Sparkes, Paul High, Bob Smytherman, Sean Macdonald.

 

In relation to Agenda Item 10 application 475 Bob Smytherman declared a personal interest as he regularly attended this group.

 

 

27.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 164 KB

The confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 25 November 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

27.1   RESOLVED that the minutes of the last meeting held on 25 November 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

28.

Talk With Us Open Forum

Members of the Committee are asked to raise relevant issues of local significance for discussion and possible future agenda items. Members of the public are also asked to raise questions and are encouraged to submit more complex issues prior to the meeting to allow substantive answers to be provided.

Minutes:

28.1   The Chairman invited questions from the public.  The following issues were raised, and responses made.

 

·         A resident submitted a question asking what Members scientific knowledge was in regard to the global climate emergency and would they accept a personal invite to an educational talk on the Climate emergency based on IPCC scientific evidence planned for April?

 

Mr Waight responded stated he had a degree in Chemistry and Biology that included study of the climate and echo systems, so he had some knowledge of the subject area. 

Mr Smytherman referred to a conference on the subject happening in Worthing this week that he would be attending but that he would also be happy to attend the educational talk if the date allowed him to do so.

Mrs Sparkes referred to the good work that local Councils were doing.  She stated that Worthing Borough Council aim to be carbon neutral by 2030 and were extending solar farms at sea, kelp forests, electric car fleets and reducing emissions from its own council estate.

Mr Cloake stated Members were invited to lots of events and talks and if his diary allowed, he would attend.  He acknowledged this was a problem and we all need to do our bit to change culture.

 

·         A representative from Thomas a Becket Junior School reminded members of the community highways scheme supported by a petition for safety measure in Wiston Avenue and Lawrence Avenue.  They expressed disappointment that despite the vast community support it was rejected as a community highway scheme and asked if there was any other budget that could get this scheme approved.  In relation to the same scheme a lady whose dog was recently run over and killed in the area handed in a further petition urging the County Council to install a crossing on Wiston Avenue.

 

The Area Highways Manager confirmed that it did not score highly enough as a Community Highway Scheme due to the fact that the injury an accident data for that area was not high.  He confirmed there may be other sources of funding but that had not yet been confirmed.  Member agreed the need for this scheme and asked if they could use any underspend from their Community Initiative Fund to help this move forward.  They agreed to write to the appropriate Cabinet Member to request if funds could be moved across from Communities to Highways. 

 

 

·         A local resident referred to the recent poor inspections of the Fire Service and Children’s Services and asked for assurance that the County Council was scrutinising the work of the new Chief Executive  and that systems are in place to ensure that children are protected and looked after and that West Sussex County Council are not engendering a bullying culture. 

 

Mr Waight responded as the newly appointed Chairman of the new Fire and Rescue Services Scrutiny Committee.  He stated that the HMRC had returned to review the service and had reported sustained and good progress.  Mr Waight confirmed work was continuing on improvement  ...  view the full minutes text for item 28.

29.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The attached document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings and other issues.

Minutes:

29.1   Salvington Road – Proposed Pedestrian crossing.  A representative from the school was present and it was agreed they would liaise with the shop owners about access which it was acknowledged may be a problem.  Therefore, in the meantime the Area Highways Manager agreed to go back to the crossings team to see if they had any other options for locations.  The Area Highway Manager also agreed to arrange a replacement school crossing sign.

 

29.2   Worthing Public Realm Improvements.  The Chairman welcomed Nick Burrell, Strategic Growth Manager, and Tom Gillam, Growth Programme Delivery Manager, who had provided the update included in the Progress Statement.  Mr Burrell apologised that the project was taking a long time to move forward and reassured Members that he would come back to the next CLC meeting in June with a more detailed plan, timeline and costings.  Mr Burrell also assured the Members that there were arrangements in place to meet the local businesses and improve communications.

 

30.

Community Highway Schemes pdf icon PDF 120 KB

Information Report attached that details the outcomes of the 2019 Community Highway Scheme applications and assessments.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

30.1   Mike Thomas, Area Highways Manager, introduced the information report that highlighted Community Highway Schemes submitted in 2019.  Appendix A highlighted schemes for progressions and Appendix B identified those that did not meet the criteria and would therefore not progress as Community Highway Schemes.  Mr Thomas did state that some of those in Appendix B may be able to progress under other schemes and he would keep Members updated if that was the case.

 

31.

Romany Road and Yeoman Road, Worthing - Proposed Traffic Regulation Order (W06(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 123 KB

Report by Executive Director Place Services and Director of Highways, Transport and Planning

 

The Committee will be asked to approve the Traffic Regulation Order.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Minutes:

31.1   The Committee considered a report by the Executive Director for Place Services and Director of Highways, Transport and Planning Services.

 

31.2   Mike Thomas, Area Highways Manager, introduced the report highlighting that following the statutory public consultation, 23 objections were received and 7 expressions of support.  These were detailed with the officer comments in Appendix A of the report.

 

31.3   The local Member, Mr Macdonald, spoke in support of the recommendation.  He acknowledged the objections but explained it had been a problem for a long time and he had been contacted by many residents about the problems.  He stated that outside working hours few cars parked in this area and he felt there were enough carparks within short walking distance to accommodate the cars that do currently park on the road.  He urged the Committee to approve the decision.

 

31.4   Mr Oakley stated that he could not support the recommendation and asked if it could wait until a full road space audit was undertaken for Worthing.  He felt that other roads had the same problem and they should also be looked at.  He also questioned how restrictions would be enforced.  However, he stated he would not object.

 

31.5   Mr Turner stated that he felt support was limited with only 7 responding in support.  He stated that it should not be assumed those who had not responded support the scheme.  Mr Macdonald responded stating that he was aware that the local resident associations supported the schemes.  Mr Turner also stated that as far as he was aware there had only been one accident or injury and therefore questioned why this was a priority.  He suggested the scheme should be deferred to the reviewed again and a smaller scheme proposed.

 

31.6   Mr Waight asked why single yellow lines had not been considered.  Mr Thomas responded stating that single yellow lines would require additional signage therefore taking it over the budget for a standard TRO.

 

31.7   Mr Cloake raised frustration that such restrictions were not put in place when developments were agreed.

 

31.8   The Chairman then opened to questions from the public.  The following comments were received:

·         A local resident was in support but had not responded formally as was not aware he could.

·         A local business owner had objected but was disappointed about the lack of communication around the proposals.

·         A resident of Fulbeck Avenue was concerned about displacement if the proposals were agreed.

 

31.9   Mr Turner proposed the decision be deferred and a smaller scheme to resolve the issue around the exit of the David Lloyd Gym be considered.  Members voted on that proposal.  2 in favour and 7 against. 

 

31.10 Members then voted on the main recommendation as listed in the report.  The result of that vote was 7 in favour, 1 against, 1 abstained.

 

31.11RESOLVED that the Worthing County Local Committee, having considered the results of the consultation, agreed to authorise the Director of Law and Assurance to make the Order as advertised and detailed in Appendix B  ...  view the full minutes text for item 31.

32.

Locality Lead Update

Tracey Light, Locality Lead for Adur and Worthing, will provide a verbal update on the work completed by the Communities & Partnerships Team since the last meeting of the CLC.

Minutes:

32.1   The Chairman invited Tracey Light, Locality Lead Officer for Adur and Worthing, to provide an update on community based projects that had been delivered in the local area.

 

32.2   Ms Light stated that her team had been focused on arranging and delivering community drop in events.  These were being delivered in partnership with various organisations and would be relaxed sessions where residents can access information and advice on a range of topics aimed at helping them stay safe, well and independent.  Nurses from the Prevention Team would be able to do blood pressure checks and other health advice.  In Worthing the sessions would be at St Pauls Art Centre on Thurs mornings 10am -12.30pm.  There would also be sessions at the Shoreham Centre on Wednesday mornings.  Other venues were also being looked at for future events.

 

33.

Community Initiative Funding (W07(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 157 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises Community Initiative Funding Applications. The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding as appropriate.

Additional documents:

Decision:

The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects. Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.

 

At its meeting on 2 March 2020 the Worthing County Local Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding as set out in Appendix A and approved the following:

 

Microfund

 

·       471/W – Green Tides, ‘Office equipment to support secretary role’, £273.98 - towards purchasing a laptop, laminator and printer.  It was agreed that should Adur CLC not agree the other 50% of the application then Worthing would fund the whole application of £547.96.

·       475/W – It Socks to be Lonely Sometimes Ltd, ‘The Glamour Club’, £739.26 - towards purchasing publicity materials for the club's bi-monthly meets.

West Sussex Crowd

·       484/W – Worthing Choral Society, ‘Bringing Carmina to Worthing’, up to £2,224.00 - towards hiring Worthing Assembly Hall for final rehearsal and evening performance of 'Carmina Burana’.

 

The Committee also agreed to revoke the previously agreed pledge of £5,000.00 to 451/W – Trading Places – Practical Skills Matter as the project had not yet started fundraising and did not appear to be ready to in the near future.  Members agreed this could be reconsidered at a future date if the project started fundraising.

 

The call in deadline for this is 10 March 2020

Minutes:

33.1   The Committee considered the report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

33.2   The Committee considered each application and RESOLVED that the following awards be approved:

 

Microfund

 

·         471/W – Green Tides, ‘Office equipment to support secretary role’, £273.98 - towards purchasing a laptop, laminator and printer.  It was agreed that should Adur CLC not agree the other 50% of the application then Worthing would fund the whole application of £547.96.

·         475/W – It Socks to be Lonely Sometimes Ltd, ‘The Glamour Club’, £739.26 - towards purchasing publicity materials for the club's bi-monthly meets.

West Sussex Crowd

·         484/W – Worthing Choral Society, ‘Bringing Carmina to Worthing’, up to £2,224.00 - towards hiring Worthing Assembly Hall for final rehearsal and evening performance of 'Carmina Burana’.

 

The Committee also agreed to revoke the previously agreed pledge of £5,000.00 to 451/W – Trading Places – Practical Skills Matter as the project had not yet started fundraising and did not appear to be ready to in the near future.  Members agreed this could be reconsidered at a future date if the project started fundraising.

 

34.

Report of Urgent Action

The Committee is asked to note that the Director of Law and Assurance, in consultation with the Chairman of the Worthing County Local Committee and the Chairman of the Performance and Finance Select Committee, has used his delegated powers under Standing Order 3.45 to approve the following:

 

Urgent Action: Worthing: Liverpool Gardens Off Street Car Park W05(19/20)

 

(1)     That the Worthing County Local Committee grants Worthing Borough Council permission to include the Liverpool Gardens Car Park in their off-street parking Order.

 

(2)     That the Worthing County Local Committee grants permission to continue to charge for the use of the car park at the rates set out in section 2.1 of the report.

Minutes:

34.1   The Committee noted the urgent action decision.

35.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place on 22 June 2020 at a venue TBC. Members wishing to place an item on the agenda please notify Monique Smart via email: monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk or on 033 022 22540

Minutes:

35.1   The Committee noted that the next meeting of the Committee was confirmed as 22 June 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.