Agenda, decisions and minutes

North Mid Sussex County Local Committee
Tuesday, 5th February, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: East Grinstead Library, 32-40 West Street, East Grinstead, RH19 4SR

Contact: Monique Smart 033 022 22540  Email:  monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

23.

Welcome and introductions

Members of North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are Bill Acraman, Liz Bennett, Heidi Brunsdon, Andrew Lea and Jacquie Russell.

Minutes:

23.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

23.2   The Chairman highlighted some information for residents including a Health and Wellbeing market place event taking place in Horsham on 14 March, a leaflet about health checks and leaflets asking for feedback about County Local Committees.

 

23.2   Apologies were noted from Mr Andrew Lea and Mr Bill Acraman.

 

24.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

Minutes:

24.1   None declared.

25.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 58 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 13 November 2018 (cream paper).

Minutes:

25.1   RESOLVED – that the minutes of the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee meeting held on 13 November 2018 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

26.

Urgent Matters

Items not on the agenda that the Chairman of the meeting is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances.

Minutes:

26.1   None

27.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 49 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

Minutes:

27.1   Members considered the statements on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes) and made the following comments.

 

·         The Area Highways Manager confirmed he would be meeting colleagues from Mid Sussex District Council in early March and issues regarding missing signage would be discussed then.

·         The Area Highways Manager confirmed that the Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO) prioritised at the last meeting had now been scored. Ship Street scored 19 points and Lingfield Road and Lowdells Lane had scored 15 points.  He therefore recommended that Ship Street be progressed as the first TRO (2017/18 priority) and Lingfield Road/Lowdells Lane as the second TRO (2018/19 priority).  The Committee agreed this approach.

·         With regard to roads surrounding Queen Victoria Hospital the Area Highways Manager and local member confirmed that they were working on a travel plan.

·         It was confirmed that East Grinstead Parish Council also have aspirations to improve Railway Approach so the Area Highways manager will liaise with them on any scheme.  It was hoped that some S106 funds could be used.

·         The Area Highways Manager confirmed that the replacement Speed Indictor Device (SID) had been ordered.

·         The Chairman read out the following statement:  The County Council are currently working jointly with Surrey County Council, Mid Sussex District Council and Tandridge District Council on an appraisal of options for the A22/A264 Felbridge junction.  The exercise is underway and WSP are the transport consultants.  The aim of the exercise is to appraise a range of options for improving the junction, taking account of the cumulative impacts of development in Tandridge and Mid Sussex.  The range of options will include minor improvements to the current signals but also more substantial options that may require land outside the highway.  The appraisal will inform decisions about the scope of future improvements to the junction.  The study is expected to complete by the end of March and arrangements for briefing local members will be made in the summer. 

·         Worth Parish Council asked about Kilnwood Road.  The Area Highways Manager suggested any scheme to change the cross roads would likely not score very highly but if they wished to submit an application they could.

·         Mrs Jacquie Russell asked about the trees and street lighting in Clays Close.  The Area Highways Manager agreed to check with the street lighting contractor (SSE) to see what was happening.  He would report back to Mrs Jacquie Russell.

28.

Proposed Traffic Regulation Order - Calluna Drive, Copthorne (NMS09(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Report by Director of Highways and Transport.

 

A decision was made on this proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) at the last meeting of the North Mid Sussex County local Committee (CLC).  However under Standing Order 5.12 of the County Council’s Constitution, Members agreed to withdrawn that decision and reconsider it at this meeting.

 

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are asked to considered the objections raised and authorise the Director ofLaw and Assurance to make the Order as detailed in therevised scheme at Appendix C.

 

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

The North Mid Sussex County Local Committee had previously prioritised the need for traffic restrictions on Calluna Drive, Copthorne.

 

Following consideration of the report and the officer recommendation to approve a revised scheme, the Committee resolved to defer a decision until the next meeting to ensure that the local member’s views were taken into consideration.

 

The call-in deadline is 13 February 2019.

Minutes:

28.1   The Committee consideration a report by the Director of Highways and Transport that detailed proposals for traffic restrictions in Calluna Drive, Copthorne. 

 

28.2   The Chairman confirmed that the decision made on this Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) at the last meeting had been withdrawn to allow for further informal consultation.

 

28.3   The Area Highways Manager introduced the revised report and confirmed that the initial formal consultation had resulted in nine comments of support and six objections for the originally advertised scheme.  The further informal consultation had resulted in an additional six comments of support for the originally advertised scheme. 

 

28.4   The Area Highways Manager went on to confirm that even with those additional comments of support for the originally advertised scheme, the officer recommendation remained as per the last report to implement a reduced scheme as detailed in the report and on the map attached as Appendix C.  He explained that this recommendation would address the safety concerns initially raised in relation to junction protection but would have minimal displacement into Calluna Drive.

 

28.5   The Chairman allowed a resident and a local Parish Council representative to speak on this item.  They both spoke in support of the originally advertised larger scheme.  They stated that extended double yellow lines around the corner are necessary as at present large vehicles are often parked on the corner and vehicles wanting to go round do not have a clear line of sight of oncoming traffic. 

 

28.6   The Chairman confirmed that the local member had given apologies for this meeting and but he had suggested previously that he supported the originally advertised scheme.  However without an official statement from him to confirm this, the other Committee Members were reluctant to make a decision that went against the officer recommendation.  Members suggested deferring the decision until the next meeting to allow the local Members view to be accurately recorded. 

 

28.7   RESOLVED that the Committee defer a decision until the next meeting to ensure that the local member’s views were taken into consideration.

 

29.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies pdf icon PDF 23 KB

There are currently no nominations for Authority School Governors.  Members are asked to note the vacancy attached.

 

Minutes:

29.1   The Chairman confirmed that there were no nominations for Authority School Governors.  She highlighted the vacancy at Fairway Infant School and encouraged anyone with an interest to contact Governor Services or their local County Councillor.

30.

Talk With Us Open Forum

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

30.1   The Chairman invited questions from those in attendance.  The following matters were discussed:

 

·         A resident of Windmill Lane asked if the Council could inspect the ditch on the north side of the Lane and clear it.  The Area Highways Manager stated that he would have to first establish the ownership of the ditch as it would be the landowners duty under ‘riparian ownership’ to clear the ditch.  If it is privately owned there is a possibility of apply for funds under ‘Operation Watershed’.  The Area Highways Manager agreed to look into the ownership and liaise with the local resident and the local Member, Mrs Liz Bennett.

·         The Chairman of West Hoathly Parish Council asked for advice on what type of Speed Indicator Device (SID) the Parish Council should purchase.  The Area Highway Manager confirmed he would forward details onto the Parish Council clerk.

·         Dr Ian Gibson asked about the removal of trees on the A264.  He understood the land was owned by West Sussex County Council but following an FOI request, the County Council had confirmed they had not removed the trees.  He stated that both Highways England and developers are undertaking works in the area and they had both confirmed they did not remove the trees.  Dr Gibson stated that as the landowner, the County Council should investigate this and also arrange for supplementary screening whilst development is undertaken.  The Committee asked if it could be investigated via the planning process at Mid Sussex District Council.  The Area Highways Manager agreed to look into this and report back to the Committee.

·         A resident asked about the item on the Progress Statement in relation to missing or inaccurate signage and said it included speed limit signs.  The Area Highways Manager stated he was meeting with colleagues at Mid Sussex District Council in early March and would follow up with the local Member, Mrs Jacquie Russell, and the local resident after that meeting.

·         A resident asked about the proposed public consultation for the East Grinstead Road Space Audit and asked how it will be advertised.  The Chairman asked Mrs Jacquie Russell, in her role as the Deputy to the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure, to ensure this was widely advertised. 

·         A representative from East Grinstead Town Council raised concern about any solution for Railway Approach considering the CLC could only have 1 TRO a year.  The Area Highways Manager explained that there are other options for progressing TROs if they are linked to developments or can be privately funded.  He explained that Railway Approach could well attract Capital or S106 funding so could be progressed outside of the CLC TRO quota.

·         Sarah Howland from Stone Quarry Crew raised concern that the CLC had no funding applications to consider for this meeting and suggested that CIF and Spacehive are not promoted enough.  The Chairman stated that both Members and the County Councils Community Team do their best to promote it to local groups and organisation and the voluntary sector.  The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 30.

31.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on 25 June 2019 at a venue to be confirmed.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Monique Smart via email: monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 22540.

Minutes:

31.1   The Chairman confirmed that the next meeting of the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee would take place on Tuesday 25 June 2019 at a venue to be confirmed.

 

31.2   The Chairman encouraged the public to complete the feedback sheets on the seats and suggest items for future meetings.