Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

North Mid Sussex County Local Committee - Wednesday, 26th February, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: Turners Hill Parish Council, The Ark, The Dove Suite, Mount Lane, Turners Hill, RH10 4RA

Contact: Monique Smart 033 022 22540  Email:

No. Item


Welcome and introductions

Members of North Mid Sussex County Local Committee are Bill Acraman, Liz Bennett, Heidi Brunsdon, Andrew Lea and Jacquie Russell.


22.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Members and Officers introduced themselves.


22.2   The Chairman thanked officers from Democratic Services for the displays and information about becoming a County Councillor.


Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.


23.1   None declared.


Minutes pdf icon PDF 173 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 21 October 2019 (cream paper).


24.1   Resolved – that the minutes of the meeting held on 21 October 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.


Talk With Us Open Forum

The Committee would like to invite questions from the public present at the meeting.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.


25.1 The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council has a reasonable interest. The following issues were raised, and responses made.


• Mr Barrow from Disability Access-East Grinstead Area requested an update on a request for a pedestrian crossing at Turners Hill Road and Sandy Lane in Crawley Down. Mr Speller, Area Highways Manager, explained the process for requesting such schemes and stated he would be happy to liaise directly with Mr Barrow to discuss possible options.  Another resident stated that the Clockfield developments planning approval included crossings, but Mr Speller confirmed that these were not guaranteed until a development was delivered.  It was agreed to include any progress of this item on the Progress Statement for the next meeting.


• Mr Tullett submitted a question on behalf of East Grinstead and District Cycle Forum noting that transport "infrastructure and service improvements" are being developed by WSCC to mitigate the impacts of the new housing development envisaged in the Mid Sussex Site Allocations DPD.  He also understood the final stage of consultation on the DPD starts in April 2020.  Will any of these transport plans be in the public domain in time for this final consultation period, to allow residents to judge the impact of these plans, and the overall sustainability of the development proposals?"  The following response was provided by a County Council officer:  The County Council’s role is to provide advice to local planning authorities on the transport impacts of development to inform their planning decisions.  Details of the infrastructure needed to support their preferred development strategy will then be set out by Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC).  MSDC have published an Infrastructure Delivery Plan (IDP) alongside the Draft Site Allocations Development Plan Document that is available here and our understanding is that they will publish a revised version of the IDP at the start of the next stage of consultation.  In most cases, detailed plans for specific transport schemes will only be available when they are developed for delivery, either as development takes place or through the Capital Programme.   


·         Mr and Mrs Steggles from Turners Hill requested traffic lights at the

crossing in North Street between the Free Church and Central Stores.  The local County Councillor confirmed he was in support of traffic lights and had recently met with residents and the Area Highway Manager about the issue.  Mr Speller, The Area Highway Manager reiterated that it would also have to be prioritised against other schemes across the County.  The Area Highways Manager did confirm that such schemes could progress if third party funding was provided and explained that a recent scheme was paid for by a Parish Council.


·         Mr Hartley, a resident of West Hoathly, asked what the County Council

thought about the Metrobus No 84.  The local County Councillor said he had made some enquiries and was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.


Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 161 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.


26.1   The Committee considered the progress statement on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes).


26.2 The Chairman introduced the report which gave updates on issues raised at previous meeting.


26.3   Mr Speller, The Area Highways Manager confirmed that Imberhorne Lane traffic calming had been completed and that speeds would be monitored over the next 6 months.


26.4   Resolved – That the Committee notes the progress statement.


Love West Sussex Process pdf icon PDF 497 KB

The Committee to receive a presentation on Love West Sussex.


27.1   Mr Speller, Area Highways Manager, provided a PowerPoint presentation (attached to the signed minutes) that explained how residents should report pothole and highways faults.


27.2   It was highlighted that any other method of reporting potholes adds time to the process and details have to be entered into the system.  If reported via Love West Sussex they go directly into the system.  The public were therefore encouraged to report faults directly rather than via other routes.



Community Highway Schemes pdf icon PDF 92 KB

Information Report attached that details the outcomes of the 2019 Community Highway Scheme applications and assessments.

Additional documents:




28.1   The Committee considered the information report (copy appended to the signed minutes).


28.2   Mr Speller introduced the report that highlighted Community Highway Schemes submitted in 2019.  Appendix A highlighted a scheme in East Grinstead, A264 Holtye Road to construct a footway near the hospital.  Appendix B identified a scheme not approved for progression, but the Mr Speller did state that although it did not meet the criteria for a Community Highways Scheme it may be possible to progress under another process and this would be looked into.


28.3   Resolved – That the Committee notes the information report.


Locality Lead Update pdf icon PDF 828 KB

The Locality Lead for Mid Sussex will provide an update on the work completed by the Communities Team since the last meeting of the CLC.


29.1   Mr Sibanda, The Locality Lead Officer for Mid Sussex, provided a powerpoint presentation (attached to the signed minutes) outlining the work of his team.  The main area of focus was around the new community drop-in sessions, part of the Community Led Support (CLS) scheme, run in partnership with the Prevention Assessment Team (PAT). Other partners such as District and Boroughs, Towns, Parishes and the Voluntary Sector, will also play a key role.  He stated that in Mid Sussex the Community drop-in venues currently being tested or considered were in Burgess Hill - Kings Centre, Haywards Heath - Sussex Oakleaf Event (6 Feb), Haywards Heath Age UK Centre and East Grinstead - Glen Vue Centre.  Mr Sibanda confirmed that promotion and advertising of these events would be communicated via partners, social media and was due to start next week.


North Mid Sussex Community Initiative Funding (NMS07(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 154 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.


The report summarises the Community Initiative Funding applications received via The West Sussex Crowd.  The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding if appropriate.

Additional documents:


The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects.  Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.


At its meeting on 26 February 2020 the North Mid Sussex County Local Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding applications received as set out in Appendix A.

The following Microfund application was approved:-


483/NMS – Crawley Town Community Foundation, ‘Mount Noddy Kicks’ £750.00, towards the cost of delivering weekly football coaching sessions for young people at Mount Noddy Recreation Park, East Grinstead.



The call in deadline for this decision is 5 March 2020


30.1   Mrs Smart, Democratic Services Officer, gave a short powerpoint presentation (attached to the signed minutes) explaining the Community Initiative Fund and the two ways in which to apply.


30.2 The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes).


30.3 Resolved that the following award be made:


483/NMS – Crawley Town Community Foundation, ‘Mount Noddy Kicks’ £750.00, towards the cost of delivering weekly football coaching sessions for young people at Mount Noddy Recreation Park, East Grinstead.



30.4   The Committee noted the lack of crowdfunding applications and noted some feedback from those present about the problems associated with the crowdfunding model including the amount of time and resources required to run a campaign, especially for the smaller voluntary groups with limited resources. 


30.5   Members agreed to invite Imberhorne School to the next meeting to provide feedback following their successful application for funding towards defibrillator training.





Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Wednesday 1 July 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.


Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Adam Chisnall via email: or phone on 033 022 28314.


31.1   The Committee noted that the next meeting would take place on Wednesday 1 July 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.