Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Chanctonbury County Local Committee
Tuesday, 19th November, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Ashurst Village Hall, The Street, Ashurst, Steyning BN44 3AP

Contact: Jenna Barnard on 033 022 24525  Email:  jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

14.

Welcome and Introductions

The members of Chanctonbury County Local Committee are Lionel Barnard, Pat Arculus, David Barling, and Paul Marshall.        

 

Minutes:

14.1   The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced Members & Officers.

15.

Declarations of Interests

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personalinterest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

 

 

Minutes:

15.1   None.

16.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 177 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 3 July 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

16.1   Resolved – that the minutes of the Chanctonbury County Local Committee meeting held on 3 July 2019 be approved as a correct record and be signed by the Chairman.

17.

Urgent Matters

Items not on the agenda that the Chairman of the meeting is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances.

Minutes:

17.1   None.

18.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 83 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meeting.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

18.1   Members considered the statements on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes) and made the following comments:

 

-      A27 Arundel – Members provided an update stating that since the last County Local Committee Meeting the Members meeting with the South Downs National Park (SDNP), Highways England (HE) had announced that a further consultation will take place and the SDNP are not seeking to challenge the Judicial Review.  

-      Swan Bridge – the Traffic Engineer and Team are currently considering the details of the design and managing expectations for the use.

-      Washington, Storrington Road – The Committee have asked for the Traffic Officer to provide some detail on this.

19.

Prioritisation of Traffic Regulation Orders (CBY03(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 230 KB

Report by Director of Highways and Transport and Head of Highways Operations. The Committee is asked to prioritise the progression of Traffic Regulation Orders in the area based on the attached report and supporting documents.

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved:

To progress the highest scoring TRO from the list attached at Appendix A, that being:

Greenhurst Lane, Thakeham – Speed reduction.

The call-in deadline is 27 November 2019.

Minutes:

19.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways and Transport (copy attached to the signed minutes).

19.2 Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved to progress the highest scoring TRO from the list attached at Appendix A, that being:

-        Greenhurst Lane, Thakeham – Speed reduction.

 

19.3   The Committee Chairman requested a detailed breakdown of the TRO scoring system and the TRO’s in this area.

 

19.4   The Committee agree to request that the 2 remaining TRO’s scoring 9 or more are taken to the Cabinet Member for Highways & Infrastructure for consideration in the ‘County Wide’ allocation.

 

20.

Highways Service Level Update pdf icon PDF 161 KB

The Committee to receive a service level update from the Area Highways Manager and the Area Communities Manager based on the attached decision report.

Minutes:

20.1   Chris Stark, Area Highways Manager, introduced the report in a presentation and made the following comments:

20.2   Following Scrutiny at Select Committee the Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport & Planning approved the revised service levels that are contained within the new Infrastructure Maintenance Plan.

20.3   Mr Stark explained that, as set out on page 20, specifically points 1.2-1.4, the main reasons for introducing the new Infrastructure Maintenance Plan and revised service levels, was as a result of the reduced revenue budgets that have been given and as well as this there has been introduction of a new Code of Practice which was released by the Department for Transport. We have been, and in some cases are still operating on the new replacement Code of Practice “well maintained highways”, we need to ensure that we align all our processes and services to becoming more intelligence led and risk based.

20.4   He then referred the committee to page 21, point 2.4, that summarised the changes in the various service levels, some of which have been in operation for a number of months.

20.5 The Committee requested that, in light of the reduction in winter gritting, mainly from the main roads around Amberley and those leading to the A24, a letter be written to the Cabinet Member for Highways & Infrastructure to raise concerns about the reduction and the bus routes effected.

21.

Talk With Us

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.

 

The Committee request, where possible, that members of the public submit their questions at least 3 working days before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given. Questions should be submitted to jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk.

 

 

Minutes:

21.1   The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council has jurisdiction. The following issues were raised, and responses made:

21.2   There was 1 written question in advance:

 

Caroline Instance asked “Given the push to increase recycling and the increase we have seen in fly typing in rural areas isn’t it a false economy to shut some waste management centres for two days at a time (i.e. Billingshurst). And as winter hours shorten to match light why not use the hours “saved” to open on the other wise closed days?” Gareth Rollings, Commissioning and Infrastructure responded “The hours currently available at the full network of household waste recycling sites have been done in a way that has allowed us to keep all 11 sites open to the public, although its inconvenient to have sites shut during days of the week and at 4pm we have managed to keep every site open Saturdays and Sundays and have not had to take steps to fully close any of the sites down.

In some situations we have extended opening times using the savings made for example Westhampnett closes one day a week in the Winter which has allowed the Worthing site to open 6 days a week and not the original 5 days when the days and hours were changed in October 2016.

 

21.3   There were a further 2 questions asked at the meeting:

- A Resident asked about the A281 and what would make a strong case for applying for the crossing via TRO/CHS: Chris Stark, Area Highways Manager, responded a strong demonstration of support would be a public forum, a show of hands at a Parish Council Meeting, a well responded to letter drop & survey. He explained that the key is to encourage the silent majority who say they support it but follow through to complete surveys/attend meetings.

 

-      A Resident asked with the recent reduction to Highways in mind, what was going to happen with potholes as they are a danger to all road users. Chris Stark, Area Highways Manager, responded that West Sussex County Council will to continue to deliver their Safety Commitments and these levels would not change.

 

 

  

 

 

 

23.

Nominations to School and Academy Governing Bodies (CBY05(19/20)) pdf icon PDF 200 KB

Report by Director of Education and Skills.

 

The Committee are asked to approve the nominations of Authority School Governors as set out in the report.

 

Decision:

Following consideration of the report the Committee resolved:

That the following nomination for appointment be approved:

Ms Judith James to Thakeham Primary School for a four-year term.

The call-in deadline is 27 November 2019.

Minutes:

23.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Education and Skills (copy attached to the signed minutes).

 

23.2   Resolved – that the Committee approved the following nominations:

- Ms Judith James to Thakeham Primary School for a four-year term.

24.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7pm on Wednesday 11 March 2020, at a venue to be decided.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Jenna Barnard via email: jenna.barnard@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 033 022 24525.

Minutes:

24.1   The Chairman confirmed that the next meeting of the Committee will take place on 11 March 2020 at 7pm at a venue to be confirmed.