Agenda and minutes

South Chichester County Local Committee - Tuesday, 12th June, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Committee Room 3, County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RQ

Contact: Adam Chisnall on 033022 28314  Email:  adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Members of South Chichester County Local Committee are Jamie Fitzjohn, Louise Goldsmith, Jeremy Hunt, Pieter Montyn, Simon Oakley, Viral Parikh and Carol Purnell.

Minutes:

1.1     Adam Chisnall opened the meeting and the Members and Officers introduced themselves.

2.

Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman

The Committee is asked to elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman for the South Chichester County Local Committee for the 2018/19 municipal year.

Minutes:

2.1     Resolved – That:

 

      Mr Oakley is elected as Chairman of the South Chichester County Local Committee for the 2018/19 municipal year.

 

      Mrs Purnell is elected as Vice-Chairman of the South Chichester County Local Committee for the 2018/19 municipal year.

 

2.2     The Chairman informed the public of the passing of the officer Steve Hansford from Chichester District Council.

 

2.3     The Chairman also informed the public of literature in the room for the County Council’s ‘What Matters To You’ Survey and information for the ‘Be Scam Aware’ campaign.

3.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

 

It is recorded in the register of interests that:

·      Mr Fitzjonn is a Substitute Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Ms Goldmsith is a Board Member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Mr Hunt is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy, Goodwood Aerodrome Consultative Committee and the Goodwood Motor Circuit Consultative Committee

·      Mr Montyn is a member of the Chichester Harbour Conservancy

·      Mr Oakley is a member of Chichester District Council and Tangmere Parish Council

·      Mrs Purnell is a member of Selsey Town Council and Chichester District Council.

 

These interests only need to be declared at the meeting if there is an agenda item to which they relate.

Minutes:

3.1     Mr Parikh declared a personal interest as a pharmacist in relation to the Coastal Care – Local Community Networks item.

 

3.2     Members noted the list of their relevant interests on the agenda.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 20 February 2018 (cream paper).

Minutes:

4.1     Resolved – that the minutes of the meeting held on 20 February 2018 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

5.

Urgent Matters

Items not on the agenda that the Chairman of the meeting is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances.

Minutes:

5.1     The Committee agreed the inclusion of 3 new Community Initiative Fund applications that had been received after the dispatch.

 

·         218/SC – HEART (Homeless Empowerment and Relational Transformation)

·         219/SC – Boxgrove Choral Festival

·         220/SC Grow - Chichester Community Garden

6.

Progress Statement pdf icon PDF 32 KB

The document contains brief updates on statements of progress made on issues raised at previous meetings.  The Committee is asked to note the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.1     The Committee considered the progress report on matters arising from previous meetings (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

6.2     The Chairman introduced the report which gave updates on issues raised at the 20 February meeting.

 

6.3     Mr Hunt gave thanks to the volunteer team for their hard work on the installation of the bollards at the Westhampnett Gypsy and Traveller Transit site.

 

6.4     Resolved – That the Committee notes the progress statement.

7.

Velo South pdf icon PDF 308 KB

Attendance from CSM Active to talk about the Velo South event which is happening on 23 September 2018.


A map of the route is included.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

7.1     The Chairman welcomed Jon Ridgeon, Chairman of CSM Active and

Hayley Nunneley, Operations Manager at CSM Active and thanked them for their attendance at the pre event before the County Local Committee meeting.


7.2     Jon Ridgeon and Hayley Nunneley gave a presentation to the Committee outlining the Velo South cycling event that would be taking place on 23 September 2018 (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

7.3     Reassurance was given that no emergency operations would be hindered by the event, which included veterinary services.

 

7.4     Mike Dare reported that an application for road space would be sent to the Streetworks department soon.  Following this, early warning notices would be erected to give make sure timings were publicised for key people.

 

7.5     The Committee made comments including those that follow.

 

·         Queried the charity aspect of the event. Jon Ridgeon explained that the event held no cost to the public purse and was an opportunity to create a charity platform.  Charities were provided places on the event and then participants could ride for those charities or personal charities.  The average amount raised per participant was £500.

·         Asked what other 100 mile closed road events were available.  - Jon Ridgeon explained that the other local event was the Prudential Ride in London.

·         Sought clarity on the impact to local village businesses and if pedestrian access would be maintained.  - Jon Ridgeon confirmed that pedestrian access would be maintained.  Some businesses would be negatively impacted by the event, whereas some would be positively impacted.  CSM Active were working with local businesses to discuss the impact.

·         Highlighted the impact on buses, particularly the No.60 route on the A286 where there was no alternative.  - Hayley Nunneley thanked the committee for this information and resolved to look into this ahead of the public engagement event in Lavant.

·         Queried the planning that had been given to the impact of the pre-registration event on the Saturday.  - Hayley Nunneley explained that 8000 participants were expected on the Saturday and so a large window of 8.00am to 8.00pm had been arranged in order to stagger the impact.  CSM Active were working with Chichester City Council to manage access and parking arrangements.

·         Asked if Network Rail had considered the impact of additional bicycles on trains.  - Hayley Nunneley explained that National Rail’s rules were still in place regarding bicycles on trains and this message was being passed on to participants.

·         Sought clarity on the process for removing signage after the event.  - Jon Ridgeon confirmed that signage would be going up two weeks before the event and that processes were in place to ensure all signage was removed after the event.

 

7.6     The Committee noted that a post event debrief would be going to the Environment, Communities and Fire Select Committee.

 

8.

Coastal Care: 'Inspiring Healthier Communities Together' - Local Community Networks pdf icon PDF 86 KB

The Committee will receive a presentation from representatives leading the new Coastal Care programme and the County Council’s Communities Team on the development of Local Community Networks (LCNs) in the South Chichester CLC area.  LCNs are bringing together a network of health, council, voluntary sector providers and patients, who are working together to create more effective joined-up services and community support to improve the health and wellbeing for their whole local population.  Briefing note included.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

8.1        The Committee considered a briefing note on Local Community Networks in coastal West Sussex (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

8.2        The Chairman welcomed Jane Mules from Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust to give a presentation on Local Community Network changes (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

8.3        Jane Mules outlined the challenges within the National Health Service (NHS) and the specific demographics of West Sussex which had high numbers of old age and people living longer.  Locations of GP surgeries had been used to understand clusters of demand for services.  The proposals for Local Community Networks would be to create shared solutions to improve health and wellbeing.

 

8.4        The Committee made comments including those that follow.

 

·         Queried how the public would be informed of the proposed changes. Jane Mules explained that a communication plan was being prepared, and sought advice from the Committee on advised methods for informing the public.  The Committee advised contacting resident associations and ensuring that local members were utilised in the sharing of information.  Jane Mules explained that the Clinical Commission Group had a website for providing information and that it was hoped that this could be utilised.  The Committee also proposed parish meetings being a good opportunity to present at.

·         Queried if pharmacies would be included. Jane Mules confirmed that pharmacists and therapists had been identified who would be able to look into the appropriateness of prescriptions.

 

8.5        The Committee welcomed the presentation and proposed a pre event before the next Committee meeting to assist in informing the public.

9.

Lumley Road, Pagham Close and Sadlers Walk, Southbourne (SC01(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Report by Director of Highways & Transport.

 

Following an application and petition from local residents about obstructive parking in the area, the Committee is asked to consider the proposed Traffic Regulation Order to introduce parking restrictions in Lumley Road, Pagham Close and Sadlers Walk.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

9.1        The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways & Transport (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

9.2        Neil Smith introduced the report and explained that the appendix outlined the comments that had been received during the consultation process.  The current parking situation was against the Highway Code and so the officer recommendation was to proceed with the order as advertised.

 

9.3        The Chairman permitted a speaker against, and a speaker in favour of the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to speak for 3 minutes each before the Committee made a decision.

 

9.4        Jonathan Robertson spoke against the TRO and highlighted the lack of engagement or public meeting for residents.  Concerns were raised on the high numbers of support compared to the amount of residents in the area.  Concerns were also raised on the impact of parking for residents, tradesmen and care workers.

 

9.5        Elizabeth French spoke in favour of the TRO that would remove illegal parking.  The proposals would improve visibility and safety.  A petition had also shown there was support for the parking restrictions.

 

9.6        The Chairman thanked the speakers for their input and asked the Committee if they had any comments.

 

9.7        Mr Parikh, the local member for the area, reported that he had visited the area and experienced difficulties with the parking.  Whilst he could see both sides of the argument, Mr Parikh supported the proposal.  As a compromise, Mr Parikh asked Neil Smith it would be possible to amend the proposal to only enforce parking restrictions on the corners. Neil Smith explained that the Highway Code was advice only and that it would be possible to only include corner parking restrictions in the proposals.

 

9.8        The Chairman confirmed that the Committee could reduce the order without requiring a further consultation exercise.

 

9.9        Mr Parikh proposed amending the TRO to only enforce parking restrictions on the corners.  Mr Fitzjohn seconded this proposal.  The Committee agreed to the amendment.

 

9.10     The Committee unanimously agreed to support the amended TRO.

 

9.11     Resolved – That the South Chichester County Local Committee, having considered that theresulting benefits to the community outweighed the objections raised, authorised the Director of Law, Assurance and Strategy to make the Order as amended by deleting the parking restriction opposite the Sadlers Walk junction.

 

10.

North Street, East Street and Crane Street (Chichester City Pedestrian Precinct) (SC02(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 65 KB

Report by Director of Highways & Transport.

 

Following an application by Chichester City Council, the Committee is asked to consider the proposed Traffic Regulation Order to introduce a variation to the existing Prohibition of Cycling between the hours of 09:30 to 17:30, Monday to Saturday, to encompass Sundays over the same time period.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

10.1     The Committee considered a report by the Director of Highways & Transport (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

10.2     Neil Smith introduced the report and explained that the officers had considered government advice regarding cycling in pedestrian areas.  An equality impact report had been considered as part of the report which outlined that the proposals would apply to all cyclists and there was no discrimination.  The TRO would look to reduce accidents within the pedestrian precinct by aligning the Sunday restrictions with the Sunday trading hours.  The 20 mph speed limit outside of the city centre had been previously introduced to make the area safer for cyclists.

 

10.3     The Chairman permitted a speaker against, and a speaker in favour of the TRO to speak for 3 minutes each before the Committee made a decision.

 

10.4     Sarah Sharp spoke against the TRO and proposed that the restriction should not extend beyond current trading hours.  Disabilities should be considered as older and disabled residents used bicycles for mobility.  There was no evidence to support the proposed ban.

 

10.5     Len Macey spoke in favour of the TRO stating that Sunday was a busy day in the pedestrian precinct and so it should be included within the cycling ban.  The inclusion of Sunday would also remove confusion over when cycling was permitted.  The TRO would improve safety, with prevention being better than cure.

 

10.6     The Chairman thanked the speakers for their input and asked Neil Smith if he had any response to the speaker comments. Neil Smith explained that the proposal would cover the total possible hours for Sunday trading.  Alternative routes were available for cyclists within the 20 mph zone, albeit not necessarily direct routes.

 

10.7     The Committee discussed the TRO and commented that cyclists can be intimidating for vulnerable pedestrians.  The Committee felt the timings were appropriate as they were only 30 minutes outside of the total Sunday trading times.  There was no current facility for cyclists to have blue badges, however if this happened it would be something to consider in terms of this TRO.  The Committee also felt that the TRO would remove confusion with the current signage.

 

10.8     The Committee unanimously agreed to support the TRO.

 

10.9     Resolved – That the South Chichester County Local Committee, having considered that the resulting benefits to the community outweighed the objections raised, authorised the Director of Law, Assurance and Strategy to make the Order as advertised.

 

11.

Talk With Us Open Forum

To invite questions from the public present at the meeting on subjects other than those on the agenda.  The Committee would encourage members of the public with more complex issues to submit their question before the meeting to allow a substantive answer to be given.

Minutes:

11.1   The Chairman introduced the item and advised that the open forum was an opportunity for comments and questions to be raised on items not already on the agenda, and over which the County Council has jurisdiction. The following issues were raised and responses made.

 

• A Parish Councillor reported that they had been refused a license to erect a silent soldier silhouette in Boxgrove.  – Mike Dare explained that the decision had been made due to resourcing issues for officers to consider what sites would be appropriate.  Private land sites would be the preference for the silhouettes, with care given to ensure there was no impact to visibility.  The Parish Councillor reported that a retired highways officer had looked into the request and would be able to assist in finding an appropriate location.

• A resident raised a concern regarding a pavement sale in West Wittering.  The resident had previously received a response from the legal team regarding land ownership and the change in highway use.  The query at the meeting related to the lack of consultation to residents and local councils on the proposals.  - The resident was advised to liaise with Adam Chisnall to raise another query on this point with the legal team.

• A resident handed in a paper question concerning chalet owners in Selsey Country Club paying Council Tax.  As the site was a holiday site the owners did not utilise local services such as schools or refuse collection.  - Ms Goldsmith reported that she had previously spoken to the resident on this and advised him to form a resident group to create a collective voice.  Ms Goldsmith resolved to pass this on to Gillian Keegan as the query had originally come up at an event where Ms Goldsmith had attended in Gillian Keegan’s absence.

• A resident from King George Gardens reported that he had submitted a TRO for consideration at the next CLC regarding parking issues.  The resident had experienced difficulty in reporting current problems to the police and the district council.  - Mr Hunt was aware of the issues and reported that the parking can force residents to dangerously reverse into Broyle Road due to the lack of passing space.  The Committee recommended that the resident raise concerns with the police to Katy Bourne, Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner, and utilise Operation Crackdown to report parking issues.

• A resident queried the progress in relocating the Hornet traffic lights to their original position.  - Mr Fitzjohn reported that this was linked to planning permission issues with the site developer.  An update would be provided at the next meeting.

• A resident raised concerns on the state of cycle paths, particularly by Brick Kiln Farm; and commented that the path conditions were against the policy promoting cycling by the County Council.  - The Committee explained that maintenance of cycle paths was a highways issue and so residents should report issues via Love West Sussex to be resolved.  The Committee explained that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Community Initiative Funding (SC03(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises the Community Initiative Funding applications received via The West Sussex Crowd.  The Committee is invited to consider the applications and pledge funding if appropriate.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

12.1     The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes), which detailed applications for Community Initiative Funding. The Committee debated the respective merits of the projects for which funding was sought.

 

12.2     Resolved – that the following pledges were approved:-

 

·         204/SC - UKHarvest, up to £1000, towards advertising, and purchasing kitchen utensils and other essentials.  This pledge was subject to the project receiving verification from Locality and beginning the active fundraising stage within the financial year.

 

·         205/SC - Selsey Community Forum, up to £2000, towards the Selsey Care Shop.

 

·         208/SC - City Angels, up to £500, towards van repairs and maintenance, and restocking consumables.

 

·         209/SC - Youth Dream, The Hidden Garden, up to £1500, to purchase a greenhouse to educate young people and the community about growing food and the environment. 

 

·         218/SC – HEART (Homeless Empowerment and Relational Transformation), up to £500, towards volunteer recruitment and training, branding and administration.  This pledge was subject to the project receiving verification from Locality and beginning the active fundraising stage within the financial year.

 

·         220/SC Grow - Chichester Community Garden, up to £500, towards weekly therapeutic gardening sessions for people with a range of mental health issues.

 

That the following pledges were declined:-

 

·         206/SC - The Parochial Church Council of St Mary’s Church, £9,245, to re-establish the old pilgrim route from Southampton to Canterbury.  The Committee felt that the project would not be of direct benefit to West Sussex residents, and also highlighted that the group had previously received a Members Big Society Fund Grant for the property.  The Committee recommended promoting the crowdfunding pledge to walking groups.

 

·         219/SC – Boxgrove Choral Festival, £2,708 – Towards a three day festival in Boxgrove.  The Committee had concerns that this was a one off project.  The Committee was hopeful that the community would support the crowdfunding pledge.

 

That the following pledge was deferred:

 

·         207/SC - Priory Park 100, £5,533 – Advertising and promotion for the celebration of the centenary of Priory Park.  The Committee resolved to monitor the pledge when it began active fundraising and reconsider the pledge then.

 

13.

Nominations for Local Authority Governors to Maintained Schools and Academy Governing Bodies (SC04(18/19)) pdf icon PDF 48 KB

Report by Director of Education and Skills.

 

The Committee are asked to consider the reappointments for Authority School Governors as set out in the report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

13.1     The Committee considered a report by the Director of Education and Skills (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

13.2     Resolved – that the Committee approves the following nominations for reappointment under the 2012 Regulations:

 

      Martin Tomlinson to the Jessie Younghusband Primary School for a further four year term

 

     Ray Knight to the Funtington Primary School for a further four year term.

14.

Items for Future Meetings

·      County Hall, Chichester, Parking

·      Chichester City Road Space Audit

·      Growth Deal and Southern Gateway Update

·      Traffic Regulation Orders

Minutes:

14.1     The Chairman referred the members to the list of items that were proposed for the next meeting.

 

14.2     The Committee noted the plan to have a pre event at the next meeting on Local Community Networks.

15.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 30 October 2018 in Committee Room 3, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ.

 

Members wishing to place an item on the agenda should notify Adam Chisnall via email: adam.chisnall@westsussex.gov.uk or phone on 0330 222 8314.

Minutes:

15.1     The Committee noted that its next scheduled meeting would take place on 30 October 2018 in Committee Room 3 at County Hall, Chichester.