Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Joint Western Arun Area Committee - Wednesday, 11th March, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: The Regis School (Main Hall), Westloats Lane, Bognor Regis, PO21 5LH

Contact: Monique Smart on 033 022 22540  Email:  monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

31.

Welcome

Minutes:

31.1   The Chairman welcomed members of the public to the meeting.

 

32.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personal interest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it. If in doubt contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

Minutes:

32.1   None declared

33.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 130 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Joint Western Arun Area Committee held on 27 November 2019 (cream paper).

Minutes:

33.1   RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 27 November 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

34.

'Talk With Us' - Public Question Time (15 Minutes)

Members of the Public have the opportunity to ask questions of their elected representatives.

 

The Committee would encourage members of the public to submit their questions at least 3 days in advance of the meeting to allow for more substantive answers to be given. Please contact Monique Smart on 0330 222 2540 or via email at monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

 

Minutes:

34.1   A resident from Aldwick asked if any progress had been made on moving a large campervan from High Trees in Aldwick.  The Chairman responded explaining that unfortunately neither the local County Councillor, Mr Patel or the Area Highways Manager were in attendance this evening but that he was aware that both had been involved in this issue and had also been in correspondence with the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure.  The vehicle was parked safely and using the highway legitimately, so the County Council were not able to intervene in the short, to medium term.  The Chairman suggested if there was any suspicion of illegal activities then this should be reported to Sussex Police.  Acting Inspector Dave Lyons who was present at the meeting added that Sussex Police spoken to the campervan owner and West Sussex County Council and agree it is not a danger to other road users but have urged the owner to consider moving it.

 

34.2   A local Town Councillor asked why West Sussex County Council had asked for the control of roundabout planting and sponsorship management back from the Town Council.  The Chairman agreed to get a formal response.

35.

Community Policing Update

A local Sussex Police representative will be in attendance to update Members on Community Policing issues and answer questions.

 

Latest crime statistics are to follow Details of reported crime can be found at: https://www.police.uk/

 

Minutes:

35.1   The Chairman welcomed Acting Inspector Dave Lyons who provided an update on neighbourhood policing in the JWAAC Area. A number of issues were discussed including those set out below:

 

        Following feedback on response times for non-emergency 101 phone calls changes to shift patterns had been made to cope with peak demand.  Training had also been amended based on feedback. 

        90% of 99 calls were being responded to within the target of 10 seconds.  Inspector Lyons was not aware of the target for 101 but would find out for the next meeting.

        Work was continuing with partners to identify and target addresses and vulnerable people associated with County lines.

        New PCSOs.  4 specifically for Bognor Town Centre.  Other areas still being allocated but much more visibility of PCSOs locally.  No plans to recreate Neighbourhood Forums at present but are working closely with schools to identify and assist vulnerable families.

        Also an additional 3 Police Officers in the Prevention Team in Bognor.

        Members asked if they could have the crime statistics circulated after the meeting and for future meetings attached with the agenda.

36.

Bognor Regis Public Realm Impact report pdf icon PDF 491 KB

Report atatched by Caroline Gosford, Senior Regeneration / LSP Manager, Arun District Council

 

Caroline will present the report that details the evaluation of the overall public realm scheme and the impact that it has had on town centre improvement. 

Minutes:

36.1   The Chairman welcomed Caroline Gosford, Regeneration Manager, Arun District Council.  Ms Gosford referred Members to the report (attached to the signed minutes) that detailed the evaluation following the public realm works in Bognor Regis Town Centre.  Ms Gosford also showed some before and after photos that would be added to the website after the meeting.

 

36.2   Following the presentation Members made the following comments:

 

• Members praised the work undertaken.

• Ms Gosford confirmed that an Arun District Council Cabinet report this week had recommended development of Place St Maur.  This was also welcomed by Members.

• There were some comments about the colour of the paving and the difficulty in keeping it looking clean.

• It was also suggested that further enforcement was needed to stop cars entering the high street or alternative options explored such as using Belmont Street.

37.

A259 Bognor Regis to Littlehampton feasibility study pdf icon PDF 85 KB

Update attached from Paul Eagle, Principal Transport Planner, West Sussex County Council.  Paul will be in attendance to provide any further updates.

Minutes:

37.1   The Chairman welcomed Paul Eagle, Principal Planner, West Sussex County Council.  Mr Eagle explained that following a recent consultation event, the County Council and their consultants where progressing a feasibility study for improvements to the A259 between Bognor Regis and Littlehampton.  Mr Eagle confirmed that would include Comet Corner, Grevatt’s Lane, Oyster Catcher, Church Lane, Bridge Round about the Ferry Road Junction.

 

37.2   Mr Eagle confirmed that initial designs had been submitted by the consultants which included 3 designs for each junction.  These where being reviewed by County and District Council officers prior to a second stakeholder consultation event that was planned for 2nd April. 

 

37.3   Cllr Mr English raised concern that not all the relevant stakeholders were invited to the first event and asked for reassurance that this was looked at prior to the next event.  Mr Eagle undertook to do so and also to keep JWAAC updated.

 

37.4   Mrs Pendleton thanked Mr Eagle and his team for progressing this work.  Although she was aware that a North/South link was not included in the remit of this project she hoped that it could be planned for as much as possible to allow for it in the future.

38.

Community Initiative Funding (WA07(19/20) pdf icon PDF 131 KB

Report by the Director of Law and Assurance.

 

The report summarises Community Initiative Funding Applications submitted since the last meeting of JWAAC. The Committee is invite to consider the applications and pledge funding as appropriate.

Additional documents:

Decision:

 

The Community Initiative Fund is a County Local Committee (CLC) administered fund that provides assistance to local community projects. Bids should show evidence of projects that have the support of the community and make a positive impact on people’s wellbeing and support The West Sussex Plan.

 

At its meeting on 11 March 2020 the County Council Members of the Joint Western Arun Area Committee considered the Community Initiative Funding applications as set out in Appendix A:

 

The following applications were approved:

 

        477/JWAAC – Bognor Regis Town Youth FC, ‘Footballs for the girls’, £719.00 – towards purchasing footballs.

 

        502/JWAAC – ‘Apulstock 2020’, £2,500.00 - towards venue hire and event guide production for an inclusive, community music festival aimed at people with learning disabilities and their families.

 

        445/JWAAC – Frame of Mind CIC, ‘Picturing a brighter future’,

£3,806.58 - to hold two 10-week blocks of vocational training for ten adults, who have been long-term unemployed or who are living with mental health difficulties.

 

The following application was declined:

 

        416/JWAAC – Bognor Regis Baptist Church, ‘Bognor Church toilet facilities’, towards installing a disabled toilet and improving baby change facilities.   This was declined as Members felt the project had not gained the community support intended for a crowdfunding project.

 

It was also noted that application 457/JWAAC had been withdrawn by the applicant.

 

The call in deadline for this decision is 19 March 2020.

 

 

Minutes:

 

38.1   The Committee considered a report by the Director of Law and Assurance (copy appended to the signed minutes).

 

38.2   Resolved that:

 

The following applications were approved:

 

        477/JWAAC – Bognor Regis Town Youth FC, ‘Footballs for the girls’, £719.00 – towards purchasing footballs.

 

        502/JWAAC – ‘Apulstock 2020’, £2,500.00 - towards venue hire and event guide production for an inclusive, community music festival aimed at people with learning disabilities and their families.

 

        445/JWAAC – Frame of Mind CIC, ‘Picturing a brighter future’,

£3,806.58 - to hold two 10-week blocks of vocational training for ten adults, who have been long-term unemployed or who are living with mental health difficulties.

 

The following application was declined:

 

        416/JWAAC – Bognor Regis Baptist Church, ‘Bognor Church toilet facilities’, towards installing a disabled toilet and improving baby change facilities.   This was declined as Members felt the project had not gained the community support intended for a crowdfunding project.

 

It was also noted that application 457/JWAAC had been withdrawn by the applicant.

 

 

 

39.

Partnerships & Communities Update

Peter Lawrence, Partnerships Area manager, WSCC, will provide a verbal update on the work completed by the Communities Team since the last meeting of JWAAC.

Minutes:

39.1   The Chairman introduced Pete Lawrence, Partnership Area Manager, West Sussex County Council.  Mr Lawrence explained the work his team undertake supporting communities and linking them with appropriate services.  He referred to a series of drop in sessions being planned with various partner organisations where residents could access information and advice on a range of topics aimed at helping them stay safe, well and independent.  Details of these would be advertised soon.

 

39.2   Mr Lawrence also explained that his team offer advice and guidance to community groups apply for Community Initiative Funding and other funds such as Operation Watershed.  They also provide the link between Communities and the County Councillors and provide the same advice and guidance to Councillors.

40.

Items to be raised by Town and Parish Council representatives pdf icon PDF 84 KB

To consider any items from Town or Parish Council representatives that have not been covered by the agenda and are thought to be in the interest of the whole Committee.

 

The Chairman would encourage members to submit their question at least 3 days in advance of the meeting to allow a more substantive answer to be given. Please contact Monique Smart on 0330 22 22540 or via email at

monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

 

Items for discussion include:

 

1) Future administation of the JWAAC Highways and Trasnsport Sub Group – short paper attached

 

2) Suggestion from Felpham Parish Council that JWACC consider inviting the Environment Agency to a future meeting to give a presentation on how they intend to deal with climate change and possible increased flows due to excessive building.

Minutes:

40.1   The Chairman referred Members to the short paper circulated with the agenda regarding the Future Administration of the H&T Sub Group.  Following discussion, it was agreed that an H&T Sub Group was very much still wanted.

 

40.2   It was agreed that a format similar to that of the Joint Eastern Arun Area Committee (JEAAC) H&T Sub Group could be followed.  However, it was noted that their meetings took place in the daytime and were clerked by a Parish or Town Council clerk on a yearly rotational basis and that no charge was made between the Councils.  JWAAC H&T Sub Group had always meet in the evening.

 

40.3   Members agreed that as they currently pay the County Council for the clerking, they would be happy to continue paying this amount to another body.  However, most Members indicated that their Town or Parish clerks did not have the capacity to undertake the role.

 

40.4   The Chairman agreed to convene a meeting to discuss this further and agree a resolution. 

 

40.5   Felpham Parish Council suggested that JWAAC invite the Environment Agency to a future meeting to discuss flooding and increased flow.  Cllr Mr Jones confirmed that he had very recently written to all Parishes suggesting they all link together on this issue.  It was also mentioned that it was discussed at Arun District Council Scrutiny this week.  However, Members agreed that JWAAC would be a good format to bring this discussion together and agreed for the Chairman to contact Gordon Wilson at the Environment Agency to request he attend a future meeting.

41.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will take place on 2 July 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.  Members wishing to place an item on the agenda please notify Monique Smart on 033 022 22540 via email: monique.smart@westsussex.gov.uk

 

Minutes:

41.1   It was confirmed that the next meeting of the Joint West Arun Area Committee would take place on 2 July 2020 at a venue to be confirmed.