Agenda

Communities, Highways and Environment Scrutiny Committee - Thursday, 30th September, 2021 11.00 am

Venue: County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RQ

Contact: Jack Bacon on 033 022 25075  Email:  jack.bacon@westsussex.gov.uk

Media

Items
Note No. Item

11.00 am

1.

Declarations of Interest

Members and officers must declare any pecuniary or personalinterest in any business on the agenda. They should also make declarations at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting. Consideration should be given to leaving the meeting if the nature of the interest warrants it.  If in doubt please contact Democratic Services before the meeting.

2.

Minutes of the last meeting of the Committee pdf icon PDF 120 KB

The Committee is asked to agree the minutes of the meeting held on 9 June 2021 (cream paper).

11.05 am
45 mins

3.

Managing Demand at Recycling Centres pdf icon PDF 88 KB

A report by the Director of Environment and Public Protection.

The Committee is invited to consider:

 

1.   How the pilot scheme worked, and any learning arising from the pilot;

 

2.   The extent to which the evidence supports making the arrangements permanent, and the proposed widening of scope; and

 

3.   How well learning will be addressed in the proposed future arrangements.

 

Additional documents:

11.50 am
60 mins

4.

Local Flood Risk Management Strategy pdf icon PDF 148 KB

A report by the Director of Highways, Transport and Planning. 

 

The Committee is invited to consider:

 

1.   How well the draft LFRMS sets out how flood risk from surface water, groundwater and ordinary watercourses will be managed in West Sussex over the next five years and that the strategic approach, including the focus on 25 Priority Areas, will deliver the strategic objectives in the draft Strategy;

 

2.   That the draft 2021/26 Strategy sufficiently reflects any learning arising since its original adoption in 2013;

 

3.   That the criteria for selecting the 25 Priority Areas are sound; and

 

4.   That Members are clear how value for money will be measured and monitored under the draft Strategy.

Additional documents:

12.50 pm Break for Lunch - 30 minutes, resume at 1.20 pm

1.20 pm
50 mins

5.

End of June 2021 (Quarter 1) Quarterly Performance and Resources Report pdf icon PDF 98 KB

A report by the Director of Law and Assurance, setting out the finance and performance position as at the end of June 2021.

 

The Committee is asked to examine the data and supporting commentary for the performance and resources report and make any recommendations for action to the relevant Cabinet Member.

 

Additional documents:

2.10 pm
60 mins

6.

Highways Maintenance Contracts pdf icon PDF 444 KB

A report by the Director of Highways, Transport and Planning.

 

The Committee is invited to consider the performance of the West Sussex Highways service and works delivered through the contracts, and identify any areas of concern.

 

 

Additional documents:

3.10 pm

7.

Establishment of a On-Street Parking Management Task and Finish Group

The Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport intends to adopt a new On-Street Parking Management Policy Framework, in 2021. The framework will include rules for the consideration, implementation, review and removal of Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ), the governance process relating to individual proposals, and incorporate an initial three-year programme for CPZ development.

 

The Committee is asked to note the establishment of a Scrutiny Task and Finish Group (TFG) to provide Member input to the Policy Framework preparation.

 

Given the preparation timeline, the TFG will meet once (informally, date TBC) and report directly to the Cabinet Member, but its final recommendations will be published on the agenda of the next convenient formal meeting, likely in January 2021. The meeting will likely be held late October or early November.

 

The membership comprises:

·         Carson Albury

·         Andrew Baldwin

·         Caroline Baxter

·         John Milne

·         Simon Oakley

 

A Chairman will be appointed by the Group at the outset of its meeting.

8.

Establishment of a Gatwick Airport Northern Runway Consultation Task and Finish Group

Gatwick Airport Limited (GAL) is undertaking a public consultation on a proposal to bring the Northern Runway into routine use for certain flight departures. The consultation closes on 1 December 2021.

 

The Northern Runway Project is a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP) requiring a Development Consent Order (DCO) from the Secretary of State (rather than planning permission from the local planning authority).  The County Council is a statutory consultee in the DCO process; one of its responsibilities is to respond to the consultation.

 

The Committee is asked to note the establishment of a Scrutiny Task and Finish Group to meet once (informally) to act as a critical friend prior to approval of the consultation response – either on 10 or 11 November (TBC).

 

The Cabinet plans to approve the County Council’s response to the consultation when it meets publicly on 16 November. The Group’s Chairman will address this Cabinet meeting to inform Cabinet’s deliberations on the findings of the TFG, prior to the decision being taken.

 

The membership currently comprises:

·         Carson Albury

·         David Britton

·         Simon Oakley

 

The Business Planning Group has agreed that Cllr Britton should chair the Group.

 

Members are invited to volunteer to join the Group, which must be cross-party and comprise no more than seven members.

3.20 pm

9.

Forward Plan of Key Decisions pdf icon PDF 214 KB

Extract fromthe ForwardPlan dated 15 September - attached.

 

Anextract fromanyForwardPlan publishedbetween the date of despatchof the agenda and the date of the meetingwill be tabled at the meeting.

 

The Committee is asked to consider whetheritwishes to enquireinto any of the forthcoming decisions withinits portfolio.

10.

Requests for Call-in

There have been no requests for call-in to the Scrutiny Committee and within its constitutional remit since the date of the last meeting.  The Director of Law and Assurance will report any requests since the publication of the agenda papers.

11.

Work Programme Planning and Possible Items for Future Scrutiny pdf icon PDF 48 KB

The Committee is asked to note its Work Programme revised to reflect the Business Planning Group’s discussions on 17 September 2021

 

Members to mention any items which they believe to be of relevance to the business of the Scrutiny Committee and suitable for scrutiny, e.g. raised with them by constituents arising from central government initiatives etc.

 

If any member puts forward such an item, the Committee’s role at this meeting is just to assess, briefly, whether to refer the matter to its Business Planning Group (BPG) to consider in detail.

12.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be held on 24 November 2021 at 10.30 am at County Hall, Chichester. Probable agenda items include:

·         Review of the New Approach to using Community Groups to Deliver Highways Services

·         2022/23 Savings Proposals

·         2030 Energy Strategy

·         Domestic and sexual violence and abuse

·         Future of Community Highways Schemes.

 

Any member wishing to place an item on the agenda for the meeting must notify the Director of Law and Assurance by Friday 12 November 2021.