Report by Director of Highways, Transport and Planning
The Committee is invited to consider and comment on the extent to which the proposals have been amended to address the feedback arising from the consultation.
155.1The Committee considered a report by Director of Highways, Transport and Planning (copy appended to the signed minutes).
155.2Mike Thomas, Highways Area Manager introduced the report with a presentation (copy appended to the signed minutes), which set out the background and the results of the public consultation. Representations regarding tables and chairs had been made in the past by a number of organisations including the RNIB.
155.3The Committee made a number of comments including those that follow. It:
· Welcomed the policy as it gives clarity to businesses that a licence is required and it will ensure that the pavements are safe for all users.
· Was disappointed to hear that there were so few responses to the consultation from affected businesses.
· Questioned why there were so few licences already in place.
· Requested that the wider issue of licences and obstructions on the highway be discussed at a future Business Planning Group.
Resolved – That the Committee:-
1. Supports the policy.
2. Asks the Business Planning Group to review the adequacy of the existing policies relating to all obstructions on the highway.