Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
In September 2019 the Cabinet Member for Education and Skills took a decision (decision reference ES02(19/20)) to approve the commencement of a consultation in relation to proposals for change at the following schools:-
The consultation ended on 25th November 2019. Following assessment of the outcome of the consultation the Cabinet took a decision to consult on the following specific proposals (decision reference CAB10(19/20)):-
a) Closure of Clapham and Patching C of E Primary School by September 2020 whilst continuing to discuss academisation proposals which the County Council will encourage and support.
b) Closure of Rumboldswhyke C of E Infant School effective September 2020.
c) Relocation of Warninglid Primary School and the federation of the school by September 2021 (subject to developers progress).
d) Closure of Stedham Primary School by September 2020, whilst continuing to encourage and assist the school in its discussion on federation, which if agreed by the end of the consultation period (16 March 2020), will result in the consultation ceasing.
The consultation commenced on 3rd February 2020 and closes on 16th March 2020. As significant progress with proposals to form a federation with another school had been demonstrated, on 7 February 2020 the proposed closure of Stedham Primary School was removed from the consultation process.
Following assessment of the outcome of the consultation the Cabinet will be asked to determine the next steps and whether the proposals should be implemented.
Following consideration of the report, Cabinet resolved:
To support the proposals outlined in Section 2 going forward to:
1. Issue a closure notice for Clapham and Patching C of E Primary School, Clapham, Worthing, but maintaining the building open for the Autumn half term to allow those children without suitable school places to be supported to transition to a new school should schools not return to normal opening during the summer due to the current Covid-19 situation.
2. Issue closure notice for Rumboldswhyke C of E Infant School, Chichester, but maintaining the building open for the Autumn half term to allow those children without suitable school places to be supported to transition to a new school should schools not return to normal opening during the summer due to the current Covid-19 situation.
3. Request County Council Officers to continue to work with Governors of Stedham Primary School and Harting CE Primary School to progress the Federation Action Plan towards a hard federation by January 2021.
4. Request County Council Officers to continue to work with Governors to progress proposals for the federation of Compton and Up Marden CE Primary School, Compton with an appropriate partner.
5. Issue prescribed alteration notices for the relocation of Warninglid Primary School, Warninglid, Haywards Heath to a new site in Pease Pottage Crawley by September 2021 (subject to developers completing in June 2021) and implement the proposals submitted by Warninglid Primary School and at least one other partner to federate.
The Call-in deadline is 1 May 2020.
Publication date: 22/04/2020
Date of decision: 22/04/2020
Decided at meeting: 22/04/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 04/05/2020