Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
As part of the implementation of Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE), the County Council has previously requested from the Department for Transport the powers to remove, store and dispose of vehicles in contravention of parking restrictions and, although granted, it was agreed that the use of these powers would be subject to further approval from the Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure.
With CPE now more established and generally accepted in West Sussex, it is considered that vehicle removal could be a more appropriate tool for vehicles parked in contravention. It is considered appropriate to enact those powers as well as seek DVLA approval to devolve powers to the County Council to take enforcement action against individuals with untaxed vehicles.
The Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport has:
· Where the owner of that vehicle is classified as a persistent evader
· Where fraudulent use of a Blue Badge has been established
· Where fraudulent use of a permit or Pay & Display ticket has been established
· Where a vehicle has been identified as unlicensed
· Where the vehicle is deemed to be causing a hazard or obstruction i.e. contravening a Traffic Regulation Order made under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
Publication date: 26/08/2021
Date of decision: 26/08/2021
Effective from: 08/09/2021