Decision details

Allocation of Infection Control Grant (OKD17 20/21)

Decision Maker: Director of Law and Assurance

Decision status: Recommendations Approved

Is Key decision?: Yes

Is subject to call in?: No



On 15 May 2020 the government announced a care home support package backed by a £600m infection control fund . The specified purpose of the grant is to provide support to adult social care providers, including those with whom the Council does not have a contract, to reduce the rate of COVID-19 transmission in and between care homes and support wider workforce resilience to enable improved infection control. The West Sussex allocation of this money is £13.363m. The expectation from government is that 75% of the money is passported directly to registered care home providers (including those the Council doesn’t already contract with) and the remaining 25% is allocated based on local need.

The Council is required to comply with a number of conditions set out in the grant circular distributed by Government.


  The Director of Law & Assurance, with the agreement of the Interim Executive Director Adults and Health and the Chairman of the Health and Adults Social Care Scrutiny Committee, has used his delegated powers under Standing Order 5.23 for approval to be given that;


(1)   75% of the Infection Control Grant Funding is paid to providers, in line with Government Guidance and subject to the government grant conditions and providers’ acceptance of the terms and conditions of the Council’s grant agreement with them; and


(2)   allocation of the remaining 25% of the Infection Control Funding be subject to a further key decision based on need within the county and made subject to appropriate grant conditions.


Interests and Nature of Interests Declared:


Urgent item?: Yes

Publication date: 12/06/2020

Date of decision: 12/06/2020

Accompanying Documents: