Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Adults and Health
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The County Council currently commissions accommodation based support for adults affected by alcohol and drug misuse. There are two current contracts which end 31 March 2021 with no option to extend.
Authorisation is sought to commence a procurement process to secure provision and a new service which will be effective from 1 April 2021.
Objectives of the service are:
• To maintain substance misuse recovery, and sustainable independent living
• Reduction in drug and alcohol related harm. Contributes to Public Health Outcome Framework (Phof) indicators.
• Improvement in the stability of people’s accommodation
• Improvement in physical and mental health and wellbeing
• Improvement in social, family and community networks
• Increased engagement with education, training, volunteering and employment
• Reduction in offending and anti-social behaviour
Activity will fit with the wider Prevention Strategy of West Sussex County Council, looking to support individuals with alcohol related difficulties earlier in their drinking history, and to prevent escalation of substance use related problems. An expected benefit will be an increase in local access to community settings for alcohol assisted withdrawal programmes.
Activity will support efforts to reduce risks of drug related deaths and reduce the numbers of drug deaths in treatment (an area of focus, working with Public Health England) and a priority of the Safer West Sussex Partnership Board.
The contract will run for a period of four (4) years with the possibility of a further extension for up to two (2) years built into the terms of the contract. The total value of the contract funded through the public health grant, is approximately £2.10M (including extension period). There are additional income streams from Housing Benefit revenue (majority contributor) and from District and Borough Councils.
The Cabinet Member for Adults and Health has approved;
1) the commencement of a procurement process to secure the provision of Accommodation Based Support for Alcohol/Drug Recovery for the population of West Sussex. A new service will be effective from 1 April 2021; and
2) the delegation of authority to the Director of Public Health to award the contract, following completion of the procurement process, for an initial period of 4 years with the option for an extension of an additional 2 years.
Publication date: 03/02/2020
Date of decision: 03/02/2020
Effective from: 13/02/2020