Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Education and Skills
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The County Council’s School Effectiveness Strategy 2018-22 sets out the need for a diverse supply of strong schools across the county. It highlights that, where schools are identified as being at risk in terms of their viability to provide an effective and financially sustainable educational provision, options for change need to be considered.
A high level impact assessment has been undertaken to ascertain whether any schools may reasonably be considered to be at risk in relation to factors which represent indicators for viability and meet the case for consideration for change, namely federation, merger, relocation or closure, when assessed against the Department for Education statutory guidance.
This assessment identified that a number of smaller schools may be considered to be at risk and, due to the specific circumstances relating to five of these schools, it was determined that a more detailed impact assessment should be undertaken on potential options to address those risks. This impact assessment work has now concluded and it is proposed to undertake a consultation to assess views on options for change at the following schools:-
• Clapham and Patching CE Primary School, Clapham, Worthing
• Compton and Up Marden CE School, Compton, Chichester
• Rumboldswhyke CE Infants’ School, Chichester
• Stedham Primary School, Stedham, Midhurst
• Warninglid Primary School, Warninglid, Haywards Heath
The Cabinet Member for Education and Skills has:-
(1) Approved the commencement of a consultation in relation to proposals for change at the following schools:-
Ø Clapham and Patching CE Primary School, Clapham, Worthing
Ø Compton and Up Marden CE School, Compton, Chichester
Ø Rumboldswhyke CE Infants’ School, Chichester
Ø Stedham Primary School, Stedham, Midhurst
Ø Warninglid Primary School, Warninglid, Haywards Heath
(2) Agreed that County Council officers prepare a report on the outcome of the consultation for the Cabinet Member to decide whether to undertake further consultation in relation to specific proposals for any of the schools.
Publication date: 25/09/2019
Date of decision: 25/09/2019
Effective from: 07/10/2019