Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Environment
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The project forms part of the agreed objectives of the Your Energy Sussex (YES) partnership by increasing and enabling the expansion of renewable energy generation in the county as well as developing the low carbon economy and reducing CO2 emissions. It also supports the outcomes identified in the approved Energy Strategy. The project will also facilitate a much needed re-development of the site, with the existing buildings being demolished and the site fully secured. The site has in recent years suffered problems with safety, break-ins and vandalism.
Since 1 April 2014 the YES team has been working to develop a significant pipeline of energy related projects including:
• The imminent completion of Westhampnett solar farm with 4 mega-watts of energy storage on site,
• Development of Tangmere Solar farm, which is now complete,
• Installation of commercial scale PV (photovoltaic) systems on schools and third party roofs including at Goodwood Aerodrome,
• PV systems for 225 houses owned by Crawley Borough Council, and
• For Adur & Worthing councils, installation of gas central heating systems in houses served by a newly installed gas main.
Generation of income for all the energy schemes will be achieved through the Council’s energy purchaser (N-Power) selling power on its behalf, maximising the income opportunities available as an energy generator. The dual expansion of solar generation and stand-alone battery storage is a key part of the YES energy project pipeline, with solar farms and battery storage continuing to represent a relatively low risk investment for capital.
The Cabinet Member for Environment has approved:
Publication date: 03/06/2019
Date of decision: 03/06/2019
Effective from: 13/06/2019