Decision Maker: Governance Committee
Decision status: Item Deferred
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
4.1 The Committee considered a report by the Director of Human Resources and Organisational Change (copy appended to the signed minutes) on a proposal for a voluntary agreement to provide greater clarity on the relationship with Unison as a representative body for staff.
4.2 The Director of Human Resources and Organisational Change introduced the report, advising the proposal as key to good working relations with unions and staff and to pay negotiations and organisational change. It would help rebuild the Council’s relationship with Unison and send a positive message to staff.
4.3 The Committee discussed the proposal, noting the context. Suggesting a need for more time concerns were raised about:
· the need for detail about the staff affected and Unison membership;
· the implications of a ‘voluntary’ agreement.
· The reasons for a move away from the current informal arrangements, and a fuller rationale for the proposal.
4.4 The Director of Human Resources and Organisational Change clarified that:
· the proposed agreement is symbolic rather than significant;
· Unison membership has increased recently;
· either party may withdraw from the agreement at any time;
· that the proposal would strengthen the bond with local Unison members and would demonstrate commitment from the Council to its staff.
4.5 Cllr Walsh and Cllr M Jones stated that to delay the proposal would send the wrong message to both staff and to Unison.
4.6 Cllr Bradbury, seconded by Cllr Marshall, proposed a decision on this report be deferred so that additional information can be brought to Governance Committee for consideration on 22 June 2020. The proposal was agreed.
4.7 Resolved – That the decision on the proposal to enter into and maintain a recognition agreement with Unison to include recognition rights for employees on HAY; and Public Health/Agenda for Change grades be deferred until the Committee received a further report providing additional information.
Publication date: 02/06/2020
Date of decision: 20/05/2020
Decided at meeting: 20/05/2020 - Governance Committee